Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rudders

Foggerjet
    My JG has a rudder fitted to the steering nozzle, and looking at the pics y'all post none have a rudder. I know you steer with the throttle so what would be the advantage of having the rudder? For low speed docking? Anyway I took it off but now there is a big boss cast into the back of the nozzle, for the bolt, that looks like it is right in the slipstream. I think I could just cut it off with a die grinder then grind it smooth. Would this be wise? does that big ass piece of alum slow you down? It looks like it would, hanging down about 4". I have a diverter that wasn't working right so put the stock stuff back on (came with the boat). I will get the diverter repaired/replaced, but until then should I just leave the rudder on?
    thanks,
    fog

Duane HTP
    From my experience, I believe a rudder has a phycological effect more than anything. If you think it works, it works. If you think it don't work, it don't. I have put rudders on a boat and the customer said, "That's great, it really helps". Then I've put the same rudder on the same brand and type of boat for another person and they say. "Waste of money, I can't tell any difference." So, I say, if you think a rudder helps use it and be happy. If you think it don't help, take it off and be happy. A rudder works from the wash of going through the water. When you are going docking speed, there is not enough wash to help. I definitely do not like one on a high speed boat. For instance, the Place rudder has part of the rudder in front of the pivot center of the rudder. This has a tendency to make the boat feel like a car tire driving on top of a sand ridge. They also give a boat tail lift upon deacceleration, which can be dangerous.
    As far as the little cast ring on the bottom of your nozzle, it's most likely not even touching the water at speed as the boat lifts out of the water.
    "Just an opinion"

Back Forty
    Here is my opinion from an old post.
    I have only owned one of these jets so far and mine does not have a rudder. I find it hard to believe that the rudder provides any help whatsoever with a jet application. With a fixed prop boat, water is being diverted left or right by the rudder. With a I/O or whacker boat, the prop provides left or right. With a jet its the position of the nozzel. All of these boats are in reality directed left or right by propulsion whether it be past a rudder or the direction of the propulsion. The idea that a rudder will save you if you lose power seems wrong to me by experience. I have some rather dramatic small boat experience from my time in the coast guard. I have always experienced that a boat with a decent sized rudder that is up to speed and loses power will barely do more than wag its ass left or right according the steering input. The boat comes off plane and usually does nothing more that swing left or right. The boat will always continue in the general direction you were pointed after your off plane regardless of where the rudder is. The small rudder usually seen on a jet has always seemed to me as a novelty and nothing more than a feel good to the folks that are used to a prop boat. I don't mean to get anybody fired up here. This has been my experience.
    A reference: Once on Lake Crescent out in Wa. State, a guy in an open console 19' or so Boston Whaler decided to put his bow to us and drop the hammer.(and outboard boat) We were in somebody's personal little 16' skiff. Mr. Dumbass rolled back the throttle and cut the wheel. The Whacker died out, came off plane and ran up on top of the boat I was in and slid back off before we took on water. All of this while the wheel was cut hard and Mr. whacker was shitting his drawers. A whacker has much more affective rudder surface area than any jet I've ever scene.
    I will say that I am highly experienced at dockside manueverablility. This boat of mine is as menueverable as any single drive boat I've ever ran. I personally assume that the jet boat rudder is a trinket item however must admit again that I haven't driven one yet. So I'll say that it certainly "could" offer a difference.
    here (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...ghlight=rudder)

MudPumper
    The rudders don't do shit, you don't need it.

i'll chime in too!
    i had a rudder on my JG and did not notice any difference but when i installed the AT droop (long) the rudder was very noticable, i too feel i can manuver my lil 18 jet into pretty much anywhere within 20' space with ease! HUH! HUH! (rubbing lapel) lol
    but when i had the rudder with the droop it was truly like driving a car, and there is no side slipping with a car at slow speeds!
    IMO if you are looking for a performance gain....shitcan it! or sell it!
    P.S. my neighbor bought mine and installed it on his mid 70's elim double bubble 21' river cruiser, he notices no more tailslide at speed anymore, and following him in the past...tailslide was very noticable when crossing opposing traffik wakes!
    dont quote me....i aint said shit!
    todd

moneysucker
    All my friends wives are happy with the rudder, Psycological thing, Since it is only temporary, Leave it on and sell the whole set up when you get the diverter back. Just a thought.
    Cy

riverbound
    One of my buddies boat had no rudder on it when he bought and he would spin out during turns, he put the rudder on and now it turns much better. Rudder / no rudder is one of those debates that have no right answer kind of like chevy /ford. just do what works for you.

moneysucker
    Originally posted by riverbound
    One of my buddies boat had no rudder on it when he bought and he would spin out during turns, he put the rudder on and now it turns much better. Rudder / no rudder is one of those debates that have no right answer kind of like chevy /ford. just do what works for you.
    There is a right answer to the 2nd question, the answer is Chevy. As for the rudder question, It depends what you are trying to accomplish.
    Cy

riverbound
    Originally posted by moneysucker
    There is a right answer to the 2nd question, the answer is Chevy.
    Cy
    Thats funny my answer would have been ford

Foggerjet
    Thanks guys,
    fog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast