Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bacardi Silver Boat??

unleashed
    I'd be interested to know the statistics on boating fatalities be it Jet skis, cats or V's??? I know for a fact I have heard of recent accidents involving V's tossing there owners out of the boat only to have there bodies found days later???
    Deano
    Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Three Days Only
    Just my .02
    There are many more V bottom accidents occuring nationwide then cat accidents which are being reported to the insurance companies. You need to look at the hole picture, there are most likely 100 V bottoms or more to 1 cat. Your just hearing about the high speed high dollar cat accidents. Your not hearing about all the little V bottoms that are hitting underwater objects, striking other boats, crashing into each other, & so on & so on. Cat insurance is high not due to racing, its due to #1 the cost of the boats, the speeds the boats are capable of running and the age and diversity of the people buying the boats. I was explained it this way, we are gambling on insuring your 200K+ boat in the case of an accident. I was told that I was getting 295K worth of coverage on the boat alone + plus medical, the other boat, and passangers, etc. etc in the case of an accident for $4640 per year around 1.5% of the replacement value of the boat. Sounds cheap to me!!!!!!!!!!!! You want cheap insurance, buy a cheap boat!!!!! My old V bottom was about 1% of the cost of the boat per year, its all relative. Do the math. Most of us discussing this on this thread do not own 20' ultra. We all have high dollar expensive boats. I remember the day I owned my 18' jet boat the boat was also only 16,500, and insurance was 220 per year, right around 1.4% of the cost.
    BF, why are you complaining, you do not even own a boat!!!!LOL
    Have a great evening,
    Jeff

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by Three Days Only
    BF, why are you complaining, you do not even own a boat!!!!LOL
    Have a great evening,
    Jeff
    Either do you every other weekend

Havasu Cig
    Originally posted by unleashed
    I'd be interested to know the statistics on boating fatalities be it Jet skis, cats or V's??? I know for a fact I have heard of recent accidents involving V's tossing there owners out of the boat only to have there bodies found days later???
    Deano
    Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
    I know of one, which was a 38 Top Gun like ours. The driver apparantly turned hard at high speed to avoid a log and the boat barral rolled. He was killed and passenger was injured. This is the only V I can think of off hand where this has happened.
    There have been several incidents over the past couple of years of mostly larger cats crashing and killing the occupants. The ITS Skater is the last one that comes to mind, but i can think of a couple others off the top of my head without researching it. The HTM accident was also fairly high profile.
    3DO,
    You are definitely right about more V's being involved in accidents, but I think if you break it down to the high performance boats the cats will take the lead. I spend alot of time on OSO and usually when a fatal crash happens it is a cat.
    I love cats and will probably own another, but I think the insurance companies definitely consider them higher risk. The agent I am using for our Cig is a boater himself and spends time on OSO and he thinks they are higher risk as well. I guess what the insurance companies think is what really matters right or wrong.
    I don't think it is because a cat is more dangerous, I just think that people are going for the big #'s in them. I would like to get our Gun running over 100 someday, but if I am searching for speeds in the 120+ area I will be doing it in a cat. With higher speeds come higher risks. My.02

Tom Slick
    Looks like the V-bottom guys are in a real big hurry to catch the cat guys when it comes to accidents. Just read over on OSO that a Cig Gladiator just flipped in Biscayne Bay with 4 people on board. Looks like they are all ok, but it just goes to show that its not going to be cats only that see the increases in insurance. :frown:

Havasu Cig
    I just saw that....The difference is though that all 4 are ok. Usually when you read about a cat flipping there are fatalities.
    I agree though that insurance will probably be going up on all boats, but I think the cats will still be significantly more.
    The insurance quote I just got on the cat I was looking at changed my mind about selling the V for the time being.:frown:

Tom Slick
    The insurance quote I just got on the cat I was looking at changed my mind about selling the V for the time being.:frown: [/B][/QUOTE]
    Just curious, what cat were you thinking about getting?

Three Days Only
    The accidents that I read about on OSO are always high performance, high dollar boats, never the small stuff. Its to bad that we have to read about boating accidents. The faster all these boats go, the more we will read about, sucks if you think about it. There have been to many losses this year already, but it is actually very small on the statastic's. Most on the water deaths are caused by drowning while stationary (at dock, etc). I will find the thread from OSO and post a link to it later.
    On a better note, who's going to be in Havi this weekend?
    Havi Cig, Hows that big Cig running, Im assuming you got it over to Teague, and all is well.
    Jeff

Havasu Cig
    The boat is running fine, the trailer is having issues now. For some reason the Electric pump on the trailer keeps fying. I am having another (the third one) sent to me, should be here today.
    It is going to a trailer shop when I get it and the whole thing is getting re-wired.
    Looks like Maximus is running well, nice article in the Mag.

Charley
    Originally posted by Three Days Only
    The accidents that I read about on OSO are always high performance, high dollar boats, never the small stuff. Its to bad that we have to read about boating accidents. The faster all these boats go, the more we will read about, sucks if you think about it.
    Jeff
    Look in the Mirror buddy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast