Thread: How much did I pick up?

After the ordeal getting to the river this weekend (see the Silver Lining thread in Hot Spots, West), I tested the Advantage with the converted carb.
    I don't have GPS, so it was strictly tach, and seat-of-the-pants feel. The Advantage has a Berk "E" with an A impeller.
    A couple things stood out right away. The hole shot was about the same, but at cruising speed, the flat spot it had when you tromped it was gone. It also accelerates hard from cruise. Wide open it picked up about 150 rpm, and felt a TON faster (probably just glad to be out on the water). Top speed now makes the bimini do bad things.... suffice it to say, no speed runs with the top up anymore.
    Does anyone have any idea how much I picked up in HP with the RPM increase? I remember seeing a program that can calculate hp somewhere.
    This week the Stealth replaces the CJ manifold, and then it's off to FC in a couple weeks untested. Should be cool.

cyclone
    congrats man! 150 rpm is a good pick up if you only changed the carb. i'm sure someone here can tell you how much more hp the engine is making.

beached 1
    Originally posted by roostwear
    This week the Stealth replaces the CJ manifold, and then it's off to FC in a couple weeks untested. Should be cool.
    are U talking about a BBF? If you are running CJ heads then the stealth should not give you anything. If you are running C8, D0, D3's,etc then the stealth will be a major improvement.
    Good luck!

hack job
    mike if you know your old #'s ( rpm and speed ) then we can run those #'s for you

I'm running mildly ported D3s with a CJ intake. I was told the Hardin engines came this way. The port mismatch is huge, but I'll do some matching on the Stealth before I bolt it on. Guesstimates on HP increase now, and what I'll see with the Stealth?

Never have GPSed it. I don't want to know how slow I go! The pump is still fresh and tight with a new "A" rebuilt by Jack, and before it ran at 3650, now at 3800. I'm going to hook up another tach, cuz this one feels like it's reading low (isn't that what they all say?).

Cas
    Mike,
    Have you checked the back of your tach for an adjusting knob? A lot of the tachs have them, yours might be set for the wrong # of cylinders. My stepson was going to buy a new one when he was only taching out at 3400. As soon as I adjusted it for him, it's fine.
    Just a thought.
    Congrats on the gain too!

I've never had a tach on the wrong setting, but I would think having it on 4 or 6 would make it read higher? Worth a shot checking it out, I'm a little brain fried tonight.
    Tore off the CJ manifold tonight, and placed the Stealth w/carb and cable in place. Good thing I had the upholsterer add 2 inches to the scoop. Everything just fits, and I have 3/4" to spare. (I may need 1/2" of that under the carb) I checked the manifold against the intake gaskets, and I don't know if I'll port match it just yet. The ports on the head need attention too, and I might just wait until I put a set of C8/C9/D0VE heads on it to port match.

RedRocket
    my guess, 25 hp

Ken F
    Mike, I sure like the Stealth on my 460!
    Anxious to hear your results.
    Ken F