Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump Requirement

Heatseeker
    What size fuel pump would you guys recommend?
    I'm putting together a BDS 8-71 .070" over BBC w/2 Holley 850's, around 800 HP.
    Will a BG 220 do it, or should I go after a BG 400?
    Thanks.
    [ March 05, 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Heatseeker ]

Dragboat Dad
    We have a similar set up and use a Holley Black electric pump. Works very well with a T Tank however we had problems with saddle tanks, we would lose pressure when they were low or you after you let up on the throttle.

77charger
    my boss has a similar motor in his jet he runs the mallory comp 240(?) it has a return line.they had a fuel starvation prob before but found out the distribution block was too restrictive.Now everything works perfect!I have seen the holley black pumps on blown motors too and the owners said they have been workin fine!

FastTimmy
    Check these guys out I have had great luck with there stuff.
    http://www.producteng.com

Craig
    Myself and two friends have motors like that, 878 (two 750's), 890 (two 950's) and 1013 horsepower (two 950's). We all use Holley's black pump. Had some overheating issues with the pumps at long idles, but running a return line seemed to cure that.
    Craig

Liberator TJ1984
    I have saddle tanks ..running Mallory Pro Comp 140's w / regulators off ea. tank to a common fuel distribution block ..have check valves on tanks to prevent overflowing by one pump overpowering the other ...working good so far...also have ea. pump wired to seperate switches so I can run from isolated tank if desired ...if one should run out I can kill that side pump

Blown509Liberator
    John
    I had the same set up as Liberator TJ1984. No check valve, never had a problem with one over running the other. My biggest problem was balancing them to draw evenly. The comp 140's are a good pump and dont need a return. the 240 I think need a return to the tank.
    MikeW

Blown 472
    I am using a 1/2" id line from the tank to a clay smith super duper mechanincal fuel pump, from that I go to a block with two holley regs mounted on it, all 1/2" line up to the block.
    My blown car I use a single holley blue pump near the tank, 1/2" stainless line to a moroso pressure adjustable fuel log which has a return line on it, this set up seems to work fine.

Heatseeker
    Thanks guys! You guys are the baddest!
    I thought I was going to have to pop for the BG400, further slowing my progress towards completion. Now I have some options. Hell, I already have two Holley blues. I kinda like the two seperately switched pumps idea.
    I modified the tanks for 3/8" pick-ups(from 1/8" pipe nipples!). I didn't, however, install returns. Another plus for the two pump set-up.
    Thanks again!

Liberator TJ1984
    John , I usually only run one pump if I'm just cruising around the lake and switch back and forth to keep fuel levels equaled out...also to keep the amount of electrical drain down on battery..... if I know I am gonna be standing on it hard , I turn both on so fuel supply will not be a concern...like 472 said I have 1/2" lines from tanks to pumps to distribution block , from there they are 3/8" to fuel bowls...good luck
    Gopherrr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast