Thread: going to need more speed

lynn
    just bought this has a 454, american turbine pump no diverter will run out at 60 this is a 22 foot advantage citation any way to get to 70 besides behind my dodge hemi going down the hwy. any suggestions about what to add would be helpful.

MudPumper
    A diverter should be good for a few MPH.

moneysucker
    Diverter and droop along with ride plate and shoe. Dry it out and you will see the mph. Of course when you see 70 you will want 75. It is a sickness.

HotHallet
    Not to burst your bubble but 70 is a pretty tall order for a boat that big and heavy. I would start with a set of through transom headers and definitely add a droop snoot, place divereter, and ride plate and shoe. How tight is the pump? When was it rebuilt or has it been? What are the specs on the motor? Is it stock and how much HP? These are all ?'s needing answered to help you on your quest. This boat looks more like a good family cruiser than a candidate for high speed action. Not trying to kill a dream just saying you are going to have to spend a lot of money and time while exhibiting patience experimenting with different set-ups to get that speed. Another area to look into is changing the loader.

327,jet
    Try a set of aluminum heads , headers , place diverter , loader grate depending on how much cash you have . You can alway's get more speed if you have the fund's. Doe's your pump have a s/s impeller shaft and what impeller are you running?

Ken F
    Lynn, you are running pretty much standard speed for that type/length boat & open bow.
    I just spent about 5 years on the same quest with a 21.5' Omega. Heavy.
    After about 6-650 hp, bottom blueprint, setback pump, HTP snoot, divirter, and an AB impeller, I finally reached 72.4. Lots and lots of work & money to get there.
    The snoot will do you better than a droop, from experience, and you want a larger impeller. (more water out the back, more mass forward.) I would also cam it to make max torque around the 5k range.
    I just sold mine, and bought a tunnel. figured I'd pushed it about as far as it was going to go without a blower! lol
    Ken F

lynn
    Originally posted by HotHallet
    Not to burst your bubble but 70 is a pretty tall order for a boat that big and heavy. I would start with a set of through transom headers and definitely add a droop snoot, place divereter, and ride plate and shoe. How tight is the pump? When was it rebuilt or has it been? What are the specs on the motor? Is it stock and how much HP? These are all ?'s needing answered to help you on your quest. This boat looks more like a good family cruiser than a candidate for high speed action. Not trying to kill a dream just saying you are going to have to spend a lot of money and time while exhibiting patience experimenting with different set-ups to get that speed. Another area to look into is changing the loader.

manuel
    I think before you start ordering all the expensive goodies have a pro look at it(maybe 2 or 3), and you didn't mention at what RPM you reached 60MPH, there are a few who frequent this board who's job is to get all you can from what you have then make it faster, but speed=money, good luck and enjoy it some before you start tearing it down because those things snowball, "well as long as we're this far let's....." nice looking boat.