Thread: overheating

slotman7777
    I have a volvo-penta 500 DPX and I wish I bought a mercruiser but I didn't.....SO I am constantly overheating. Where should I look. New Stat at 140 degrees... Oil Cooler? Fuel Cooler? Where?

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    O.k.,
    Engine overheating hummmmmm,
    I would start with the cooling system, is it sea-water cooled or does it have a radiator. If it is sea-water cooled then i would check the water-impeller to make sure it's not broken or cracked burned in any way. If there are even a few teeth missing on the impeller, it could drastically affect the cooling of the engine. Does it happen when your idling or when your going fast or always or does it get cooler when going fast. What are the symptoms and how do you know it's overheating. Is it smoking out the engine or is the gauge just reading higher than usual. If your engine was getting really hot, it would not take long before you see some damage in the engine. Maybe just the gauge is faulty if the engine runs fine but just the temp spikes. Does it go up when you turn on another accesory like radio, lights or is it just constantly high temperature reading. eek! Sorry for so many questions

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    tetsing avatar

slotman7777
    Tahiti Day Cruiser:
    O.k.,
    Engine overheating hummmmmm,
    I would start with the cooling system, is it sea-water cooled or does it have a radiator. If it is sea-water cooled then i would check the water-impeller to make sure it's not broken or cracked burned in any way. If there are even a few teeth missing on the impeller, it could drastically affect the cooling of the engine. Does it happen when your idling or when your going fast or always or does it get cooler when going fast. What are the symptoms and how do you know it's overheating. Is it smoking out the engine or is the gauge just reading higher than usual. If your engine was getting really hot, it would not take long before you see some damage in the engine. Maybe just the gauge is faulty if the engine runs fine but just the temp spikes. Does it go up when you turn on another accesory like radio, lights or is it just constantly high temperature reading. eek! Sorry for so many questions

slotman7777
    slotman7777:
    I have a volvo-penta 500 DPX and I wish I bought a mercruiser but I didn't.....SO I am constantly overheating. Where should I look. New Stat at 140 degrees... Oil Cooler? Fuel Cooler? Where?Only when going fast. Normal around the 160 mark until wot then immediately overheats. I believe it is the oil cooler. Left side of the exhaust does not have the same water flow but I can't find the blockage.

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    Hell again,
    Bare with me because i am way more familiar with Merc engines but I'll give it my best. I'm thinking oil cooler, maybe - worth checking out. but I still would consider giving a check to the water impeller (if there is one it should be easy to find somewhere in the cooling system or maybe inside the outdrive) because the symptoms would fit. At WOT the engine cannot get enough water to cool everything. Even if 1 or 2 teeth are missing on the water impeller, it drastically lowers the ability to circulate water. Another thing you could check is the thermostat to make sure it's reading the temp accurately. One last note, Merc engine have a bypass/seperator fitting that distributes the coolant through both sides of the engine. ( your engine must have something similar to the this) If this piece or any hose in the cooling system has any obstruction, it could potentially cause one side overheating. The symptoms would be just one side of the exhaust manifold getting extremely hot while the other is relatively cool.
    Good luck