Thread: balancer/front cover problems

john69eliminator
    I just want a few suggestions on my balancer/front cover/water pump problem. The problem is that my 400 sbc has been balanced with a 8 inch harmonic balance, and well, the front cover is too far out for it to fit on all the way, and my Neovane water pump can't fit with the 8 inch balancer. I thought about getting a smaller balancer, but then I would have to balance the engine again (some guys have told me that they have built car engines and changed balancers without having the engine re-balanced?), or maybe getting a stock front cover so the 8 inch balancer will fit and getting an electric water pump. Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions for me. If anyone has an electric water pump running or knows what brand I should look into please let me know.

BDMar
    Originally posted by john69eliminator
    I just want a few suggestions on my balancer/front cover/water pump problem. The problem is that my 400 sbc has been balanced with a 8 inch harmonic balance, and well, the front cover is too far out for it to fit on all the way, and my Neovane water pump can't fit with the 8 inch balancer. I thought about getting a smaller balancer, but then I would have to balance the engine again (some guys have told me that they have built car engines and changed balancers without having the engine re-balanced?), or maybe getting a stock front cover so the 8 inch balancer will fit and getting an electric water pump. Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions for me. If anyone has an electric water pump running or knows what brand I should look into please let me know. Speak to the shop that balanced your engine. Ask them if it is internally or externally balanced. Then ask if you can get a smaller balancer and have them match it to your 8" balancer.
    Most 400's are internally balanced, which means that the balancer has no counter weight (neutral balanced). Changing to a smaller balancer should pose no problems. Even if you buy a neutral balancer it should be checked for proper balance.

Bondo
    Most 400's are internally balanced, which means that the balancer has no counter weight (neutral balanced).
    You're Dead WRONG.............
    400cids are Externally Balanced.........

Havasu47
    Originally posted by Bondo
    You're Dead WRONG.............
    400cids are Externally Balanced......... No wonder these boards are being so heavily moderated. Everything in his reply was correct and good advice except fot the 400's being internally balanced.
    Responses like that keep the people that can offer good help from posting on these boards.

MAXIMUS
    Don't get me started big boy!

Havasu47
    Originally posted by MAXIMUS
    Don't get me started big boy! I bet you know right where to find the Achilles Tendon....

MAXIMUS
    Originally posted by Havasu47
    I bet you know right where to find the Achilles Tendon....
    I know a good deal on a used one!