Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: balancer/front cover/water pump

john69eliminator
    I just want a few suggestions on my balancer/front cover/water pump problem. The problem is that my 400 sbc has been balanced with a 8 inch harmonic balance, and well, the front cover is too far out for it to fit on all the way, and my Neovane water pump can't fit with the 8 inch balancer. I thought about getting a smaller balancer, but then I would have to balance the engine again (some guys have told me that they have built car engines and changed balancers without having the engine re-balanced?), or maybe getting a stock front cover so the 8 inch balancer will fit and getting an electric water pump. Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions for me. If anyone has an electric water pump running or knows what brand I should look into please let me know.

SJ Valley Dave
    You can just take off the 8" balancer and put on a smaller fluid dampner w/o having to re balance the rotating assembly again.

Moneypitt
    You did say 400, right? I think that motor requires a counterweighted balancer. If that is the case be careful what you put on it......I think the internal counterweights are balanced with the external in place. Talk to the balance shop that did the work.....Moneypitt

Can you use a neutral balance, balancer on it? That way you don't have to rebalance the motor.

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by john69eliminator
    I just want a few suggestions on my balancer/front cover/water pump problem. The problem is that my 400 sbc has been balanced with a 8 inch harmonic balance, and well, the front cover is too far out for it to fit on all the way, and my Neovane water pump can't fit with the 8 inch balancer. I thought about getting a smaller balancer, but then I would have to balance the engine again (some guys have told me that they have built car engines and changed balancers without having the engine re-balanced?), or maybe getting a stock front cover so the 8 inch balancer will fit and getting an electric water pump. Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions for me. If anyone has an electric water pump running or knows what brand I should look into please let me know.
    Something don't make sense, what kind of cover do you have that it sticks out so far that the damptner won't go on all the way???? The 8" damptner can be a problem for the pump but you can use an extention to cure that problem!..

Moneypitt
    Hud, internally balanced engines use neutral balancers....External balance uses a counterweighted balancer. You can't sub one for the other........I think the 400 SBC is externally balanced, I also seem to remember the MK IV external balancer is different than the SBC 400....I'm not dead bang sure about this, but caution is the key. Find out from the balance shop for sure..Moneypitt

ColeTR1
    Originally posted by Moneypitt
    400 motor requires a counterweighted balancer.
    400 sbc has it own balancer and flywheel. Maybe can you modify the pump to fit. There is a company that makes a spacer that you can put between the pump a the timming chain cover.

Spotondl
    MP is correct, the 400 is externally balanced. GFR has the solution with an extension. Otherwise, a rebalance is in order. As MP says, check with the balance shop to be 100% sure.
    Just my .02
    Rich

GofastRacer
    You could get the front of the crank internally balanced, it's only $$$$$$$!...

john69eliminator
    Thanks for all the input. I think i'll take the easy way out and get a stock front cover and buy an electric water pump....problem solved! Hell, it's only money!!! I thought about modifing the Neovane water pump, but it requires some altering of the bolt pattern on the pump due to the fact that the 8" harmonic balancer rest on those bolts. Does anyone recommend a good electric water pump with a suffient GPM water output, and is anyone looking for a Neovane water pump and a billet alum. front cover (polished alum. with grooves painted red).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast