Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBF crankshafts. Who do you recomend?

beached 1
    After this summer, I'm planning on stroking my BBF into somewhere in the 500+ cu range. So far, (although I haven't looked really hard) I can't find sh*t. Crower whom I've been very happy with for my chevy, don't have much according to their web site. This is all I could find.
    95187C - CRANKSHAFT Billet Ford 429-460 Custom Stroke (Holes Incl)
    - $2628.10
    2600 bucks seems a little steep. I would like a forged crank. Anyone with a suggestion is appreciated. Also, what strokes = what in cu in? Stock bore of course.
    Thanks,
    [ January 22, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: beached 1 ]

Miss Flat Broke
    Beached,
    Call George at Clay Smith. He has some tricks up his sleeve in this arena that will have you pleasantly surprised on the pricing side.
    Chris

Jordy
    Miss Flat Broke:
    Beached,
    Chris Sure is a cute avatar you have going there Chris...

SPECTRABRENT
    Garritt,
    Your Spectra would love a 514 Ford.
    According to the SVO Catalog you could buy a 514 short block, you should check with the local Ford dealer for the price. I would also get some new exhaust (like Hackjobs Lighting's or IMCO's).
    Miss Flat Broke is right on about (George) @ Clay Smith Cams.
    PLease email me your address and I will send some stickers & Spectra shirt's for you and the Mrs.. Let me know about the size, I have M,L,XL, XXL.
    Good Luck,
    Brent

Hustler
    Brent, save the money on the mailing, I will see him on saturday

beached 1
    Cool Brent, I'll send you an e-mail. If I could stroke this 460 to a 514, I think it would really help the bottom end. This stainless A feels a little to tall for this motor. Thanks again for the line on Freds boat. I couldn't be happier. It's kind of a trip how often people stop me on the water and say, "Hey man, nice Spectra!".
    Thanks Chris, I'll call Clay smith and see what they think I should do. I'm in no hurry. Just going to start gathering up all the needed parts as I go until next winter.
    Hustler, you got my #. Ring me up at SX. Let's kill some coolies. Glad to hear you've found some tix!

mister460
    Off the top of my head a standard BBF 460 crank can easily be stroked to 4.3" and handle LOTS of power. Ford used cast steel cranks that are pretty stout. Unless you're planning on making over a grand worth of ponies, you'll be ok with a stock stroked cranked. Where do you think the Ford SVO 514 get's it's crank from? Talk to any reputable machine shop and they should be able to hook you up with a stroked crank for WAY cheaper than you think. I know of a good shop that can stroke a BBF crank for about $175. Then just build it with good parts and leave everyone in your wake.

LeadFootTheRabbit
    Beached1, you might try CALIFORNIA CRANKSHAFT in San Bernardino on 3rd st. I believe. Used to be called LaDonna's crankshaft. They can stroke yours (crankshaft) or help you find an aftermarket unit. They've helped me out a coupla times. I'll find the ph # tomorrow and post it.
    LDFTRBT
    [ January 24, 2003, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: LeadFootTheRabbit ]

bmff
    What about that 700 hp 540 bbf built by Drew Backlund. 460 2bolt block,offset turned stock crank and 6cyl truck rods----then as much good stuff as you want. These are put in offshores,not just for drags. I think he also sells stroker kits. Sure looks good to me.

beached 1
    LeadFootTheRabbit:
    Beached1, you might try CALIFORNIA CRANKSHAFT in San Bernardino on 3rd st. I believe. Used to be called LaDonna's crankshaft. They can stroke yours (crankshaft) or help you find an aftermarket unit. They've helped me out a coupla times. I'll find the ph # tomorrow and post it.
    LDFTRBT If you mean Latona instead of Ladonna, I know who you are talking about. I have a friend who owns a machine shop and would send all his cranks to Dick Latona in San B. The guy died a few years ago, but was the best according to my buddy. I put one of his cranks in the last 427 I built.
    Speaking of which, I bounced all this off of my buddy and he suggested that for the $$ to do what I want, we could go through my 460 and add twin turbos. So, I'm going to talk to tom down at Turbo city in Aneheim next week and see if that can happen.
    It a sickness.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast