Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would 4 6x9's & 2 12's suffice?

MOBrien
    'Sup all? Kinda new here and just noticed that there was a stereo forum here. Saaweeet.
    I just acquired a 24 Cheetah and it has the very basic stereo set-up from the factory. AM/FM CD with only two 6.5's(unamplified) under the rear bench firing forward......Sooooo Weak!!!!!!! Might as well have a gaud damn boom box in my lap or a friggin Walkman. Oh wait, either of those would be better. Damn-it!
    I'm thinking of putting 12's under the deck in front of the driver/passenger seats(sooo much room), replacing the 6.5's with 6x9's and adding 2 more 6x9's under legs in the open bow. Should I also add a pair of 6x9's in the side panels of the main cabin area to help with loudness? Any recommendations on equipment that won't break the bank?...considering I just blew my wad on the boat, can't justify high end equip to the wife and need to keep this purchase well under the radar.
    Also, would I NEED to add a 3rd battery & how would that mate up with the two I've got right now on a "1/BOTH/2" switch? New switch?
    Thanks!

riverbound
    we usually do 4to6 6X9s and 2 12s in most of the boats we do. Most people are very happy with this set up and you can usually get this done relatively inexpensive. As far as recomendations we usually use Eclipse 6x9s (retail $179 pair) they work very well for marine use. as far as woofers we usually use either Rockford or JL audio (starting @ $109 ea) For amplifiers we use Rockford or JL amps (depending on budget) I could definitely help you out if you are interested, you could also contact ROZ, he also hooks up ***boat forum members.

ROZ
    Just to add to what Rb has posted. Make sure as to not mount your additional speakers too low. Mount them up as high as you can in a location you like. For the open bow you could mount the 6.5's you're replacing into the cupholder pocket area. Having the speakers up there will benefit as you're not looking to power them heavily in keeping within your budget.
    If you plan to tackle the job yourself (saving money along the way), there are several of us on here who can help explain the process along the way if you need it...
    CAn Havasu Hangin' interest you in a couple 6V batteries?

MOBrien
    I appreciate the insight.
    Problem with getting the speakers elevated in thr front is this, the front cup holders are located in the nose of the open bow where there is only one "pocket" for the two of them. There aren't locations in the sides of the open bow like typically seen...it's all back cushion. That's why I thought I'd put them under the legs....purely on available space. In having 4 6x9's down low in the seat boxes, that's also why I thought I'd add 2 more into the side panels of the main cabin area. Recommended? ROZ you're right, I don't want to get into crazy power configurations and will probably be considered "lightly powered" by many. That being said, any advice on amp sizes to run 4 or 6 6x9's and a couple of 12's?
    Thanks again!
    -MOB

riverbound
    We have used the new Rockford punch series amps and have had really good luck with them. The most popular models would be the P4004 and the P6001bd. This would definitely work for what you are trying to achieve.

MOBrien
    Is it true that they get VERY hot....hotter than others of similar power output?

riverbound
    The heatsinks on rockford amps do get hotter than most. I have been running their amps for years and have had very few problems with them. I have built sound systems for hundreds of boats over my career. and they are still my most recomended amp.

ROZ
    Originally posted by MOBrien
    I appreciate the insight.
    Problem with getting the speakers elevated in thr front is this, the front cup holders are located in the nose of the open bow where there is only one "pocket" for the two of them. There aren't locations in the sides of the open bow like typically seen...it's all back cushion. That's why I thought I'd put them under the legs....purely on available space.
    If you have the room , you could do something like this: http://www.marksautosound.com/portfo...s/S_210sw4.jpg
    In having 4 6x9's down low in the seat boxes, that's also why I thought I'd add 2 more into the side panels of the main cabin area. Recommended? Is this where you mean? http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C00698-med.JPG
    or do you mean in the openbow's walk through on the sides that are 22" apart?
    ROZ you're right, I don't want to get into crazy power configurations and will probably be considered "lightly powered" by many. That being said, any advice on amp sizes to run 4 or 6 6x9's and a couple of 12's?
    There's a couple ways to do it, but I recommend getting something like JL's E6450( less expensive than you may think ) 6 channel to run all your 6 of your speakers and something like JL's slash 2501 or 5001 to run your subwoofers...
    Another way is to run your bow speakers off your deck, the 4 cockpit speakers on your 4 channel amp, and a mono amp to run your subs.
    You could also do the same cofiguration as right above, but use a good 5 channel amp to run the 4 cockpit speakers AND your subwoofers.
    Cost really depends on how loud, clear, and bassy you want your music as well as how custom an install you want.
    Incidentally, the JBL amps have a really good watt per dollar value. You can find them online at very reasonable rates...
    I'm a big ole JL Audio fan, though

ROZ
    No matter what amp(s) you run, I recommend running a fan(s) to keep em' cool.

MOBrien
    OK.
    Stopped into several small shops that specialize in boat audio here in Sactown (Friggin Kings...damn-it!) and got some different advice at each.
    1. stay away from 6x9's because they're really only good for midbass & the highs aren't that great? Not what I thought.
    2. stick with 6.5's because they sound better? Not what I thought.
    3. run 4 6.5's and a pair of 10's off a 5-channel? Sounds feasible but might overload the amp.
    4. run 4 6.5's and a single 12 off a 5-channel? Sounds even more feasible & won't overload the amp.
    5. run 4 6.5's and a pair of 12's off 1 4-channel & 1 sub amp? Cost just went up considerably from #3 or #4.
    6. run 6 6.5's & a pair of 12's off a 2-channel & a 5-channel? Out of budget.
    7. sub enclosure in MDF okay?
    8. sub enclosure in plexi necessary?
    Okay, that's already too many options. What's legit amongst these? Also, last guy pitched Soundstream amps. I heard they went bankrupt several yeas ago, were bought out, and quality went downhill since the late 80's when I had their stuff in my car and it was considered "high end". Is Soundstream still quality equipment?
    Somebody......anybody......need...help....please.
    -MOB

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast