Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would 4 6x9's & 2 12's suffice?

ROZ
    Originally posted by MOBrien
    OK.
    Stopped into several small shops that specialize in boat audio here in Sactown (Friggin Kings...damn-it!) and got some different advice at each.
    1. stay away from 6x9's because they're really only good for midbass & the highs aren't that great? Not what I thought.
    2. stick with 6.5's because they sound better? Not what I thought.
    3. run 4 6.5's and a pair of 10's off a 5-channel? Sounds feasible but might overload the amp.
    4. run 4 6.5's and a single 12 off a 5-channel? Sounds even more feasible & won't overload the amp.
    5. run 4 6.5's and a pair of 12's off 1 4-channel & 1 sub amp? Cost just went up considerably from #3 or #4.
    6. run 6 6.5's & a pair of 12's off a 2-channel & a 5-channel? Out of budget.
    7. sub enclosure in MDF okay?
    8. sub enclosure in plexi necessary?
    Okay, that's already too many options. What's legit amongst these? Also, last guy pitched Soundstream amps. I heard they went bankrupt several yeas ago, were bought out, and quality went downhill since the late 80's when I had their stuff in my car and it was considered "high end". Is Soundstream still quality equipment?
    Somebody......anybody......need...help....please.
    -MOB
    Alright...
    1. Not true. I can name several brands of 6x9's that rock. They are louder by nature, but due to the shape of the cone, they usually willl distort before a comperable 6.5....
    2. a good 6.5 will generally have better clarity at volume, but they do not put out as much bottom end as a 6x9 at the same volume. If 6x9's were so loud and clear, you'd see them as door speakers in competition cars. A round speaker cone is much more rigid than a 6x9... My choice is doubling up on coaxials, a great pair of seperates, , waveguides, or doubling up on a great pair of seperates if I wanted to be really LOUD and clear.
    3. It's all about resistance. Get the right impedance subs and wire it to the load the good amp you choose will handle, and you shouldn't have a problem... 5 channel amps are somewhat limited. Usually the sub channel isn't more than 250 watts. Perfect if you're wanting a good sounding system that will add a good bass line and play louder thatn stock , and you're limited on space and $$. DEI has one that plays pretty well. I think they called it the 1100.5 ?
    4. Again it's all about resistance. All things considered, I'd probably go 2 10's vs 1 12 if I had the space and was looking for more output. Depends on the 12, though...
    5. Cost almost doubles unless you plan to do it yourself. 2 JBL's will be less than 1 high end 5 channel that will do what you may want. Remember that you'll have to add additional power wiring as well, so that cost will increase.
    6. Not necessarily out of budget. Check with ither RB or me on the cost of JL's e6450 and a jl2501. THis packsge would sound really good with 6 6.5's and 1 or 2 10's or a 12.... I think Sigepmock has this setup PM him for how it performs. He bought some really good stuff and I think we stayed right around 1500... Again, he did get some great speakers, so the cost could come down a bit...
    7. MDF will ba allright as long as you make sure to saturate every mm with fiberglass resign; Otherwise, The MDF acts like a big smelly sponge. If you plan to replace your seatbase with a box like HH(on the ole tug ), 1step, Slick, and RC did, Marine ply will be the way to go.
    8. Plexi is only recommended for those with the Bling factor at heart. A large enclosure won't be rigid enough unless it's made from atleast 1" thick lucite. It'll flex like RiverDave's arm two fisting a case of slivers
    The last I heard Sound stream was making some decent gear, but you can follow the path of where all the good engineers have gone to design for...
    My advise is to buy the best gear you can within your budget. Remember that you get what you pay for when you buy electronics...
    hope this helps.
    Chris

MOBrien
    Chris,
    That does help. Thanks for taking the time to write a lengthy response to my lengthy request. Very cool. I'll want to stay around $1500 installed....it must be done right and I don't have the skills nor the time to do it on my own. Here's what a local shop quoted me....
    New Deck-Pioneer Premier(unknown model #)
    Soundstream 5-channel
    Planet Audio 6.5's (4 of them)
    JBL 10's w/enclosure(s)
    installed with all necessary wiring
    ===$1500
    Is this a good deal or would I be able to expand the system and still stay at approx. $1500 installed? Ideas on equipment swap-out that'll give me more sound for the bucks? With only 4 6.5's that leaves the open bow speakerless and dubbed "the quiet zone".
    Thanks for your help...much appreciated!
    -MOB

ROZ
    Is that the vga800.5 amp they're using?
    500 amp
    200 for 6.'s
    200 for 2 10w0's
    100 for misc basic wire
    200 for the sub box(s)
    250.00 basic labor
    seems about retail right to me... Just make sure they through bolt anything heavy.. Especially the amp Also they want to use stainless hardware. Also make sure they resign whatever kind of sub box you have constructed.
    make sure the RMS ratings on the amp matches the RMS ratings of your 6.5's. I'd hate to see you go through them quickly...
    * Check with ScubaSteve on the planet audio speakers.

LVjetboy
    I had 6x9's they seemed harsh or bright. Could've been distortion. Not sure why a 6x9 would be prefered over a smaller round except bass...does that extra 3 inches on one axis really improve sound quality and/or range? Especially if you already have the bass with 12's under the deck? Surely there's been tests on both? I'm no stereo expert but I learn.
    As for a 3rd battery, I suppose that depends on how long you run and what level. I have one battery with 10 speakers and four 10" subs...almost 2000 watts peak power. Also a portable jump, but haven't needed yet. I'm weight limited, so only want what I need to fire the engine.
    jer

riverbound
    MOBrien,
    If you could get 12" woofers instead you will be a lot happier.
    LV,
    you will find different views on 6x9s vs. 6.5s. I personally recommend putting 6x9s wherever possible the 6x9s will play louder than the 6.5s
    The biggest problem in putting a stereo in a boat is most shops try to build a boat like a car and the accoustics (or lack of) in a boat are different. I always recommned building a boat system to play as loud as possible and keeping the distortion to a minimum. 6X9s will generaly play louder than 6.5s before they start distorting.
    just my .02
    Bill

ROZ
    Originally posted by riverbound
    I always recommned building a boat system to play as loud as possible and keeping the distortion to a minimum. 6X9s will generaly play louder than 6.5s before they start distorting.
    just my .02
    Bill Glad you said generally( meaning MFG and line differences), because an oval will flex linearly before a round speaker will. Physics
    I'm not saying that 6x9's are bad because they are a means to an end and are better in some applications, but a round speaker is a better design.

LVjetboy
    "6X9s will generaly play louder than 6.5s before they start distorting"
    That may be a key to this question. Do you have a reference to testing for that?
    jer

MOBrien
    Thanks for the opinions & advice!
    Think I'll be going with 6 6.5's(4 in main cabin area & 2 up front) and a pair of solid 12's under the mid cabin. I just need to ID the two amps to run that with....any ideas on two very stable, internally-fanned, cost effective amps? I won't be entering into any shows or trying to blow anyone out with this...purely for my own enjoyment. That being said, competition series sh*t isn't the right choice for me. What amps do you guys recommend for 6 6.5's and 2 12's?
    Thanks!
    -MOB

jbtrailerjim
    Originally posted by MOBrien
    Thanks for the opinions & advice!
    Think I'll be going with 6 6.5's(4 in main cabin area & 2 up front) and a pair of solid 12's under the mid cabin. I just need to ID the two amps to run that with....any ideas on two very stable, internally-fanned, cost effective amps? I won't be entering into any shows or trying to blow anyone out with this...purely for my own enjoyment. That being said, competition series sh*t isn't the right choice for me. What amps do you guys recommend for 6 6.5's and 2 12's?
    Thanks!
    -MOB
    That's the same set up I'm running in my boat. I'm running a Arc XXK 4050 for the 6.5's & a Arc XXK 2100 for the 12" sub's. It's not he loudest on the lake but I think it sound's excellent.

riverbound
    Here are some pics of a boat we just finished it has, 4 6x9s,2 12s 2 amps we just also finished the same boat but with 3 sets of 6.5 seperates and the 6x9 boat does play louder than the other one. Both boats ran the same system except for the size of the mids and highs. Head unit=alpine cda9831, Amps Rockford t1001bd & t8004, mids and highs= mbquart reference (1 had 6x9 1 had 6.5), woofers= jl 12w3v2d4.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...re_341-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...re_375-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...re_371-med.jpg
    River (still a fan of using 6x9s in boats)bound

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast