Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would 4 6x9's & 2 12's suffice?

riverbound
    Originally posted by phebus
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by riverbound
    I actually run this same setup in my moms boat.
    [/QUOTE
    Hey, I'm running the same setup as riverbounds mom.
    Your friends will love it when you tell them that
    If it is any consolation I do use the boat quite often

rvrjunkie
    7. MDF will ba allright as long as you make sure to saturate every mm with fiberglass resign; Otherwise, The MDF acts like a big smelly sponge. If you plan to replace your seatbase with a box like HH(on the ole tug ), 1step, Slick, and RC did, Marine ply will be the way to go.
    Chris [/B][/QUOTE]
    What is the advantage to fiberglass resign a sub box. Is it for better sound or to kept it from getting wet and becoming a smell sponge? Would you need to resign one that is under the bow and away from water?

ROZ
    Originally posted by rvrjunkie
    What is the advantage to fiberglass resign a sub box. Is it for better sound or to kept it from getting wet and becoming a smell sponge? Would you need to resign one that is under the bow and away from water? While resigning a wood enclosure in a boat is primarily for water resistant purposes, it will also add a little strength and likely help prevent flexing of the wood from the internal pressure created by a moving woofer as well. I'd coat any wood that goes into a boat... Even a beauty board that won't see a drop of water

rivercrazy
    I'd stay away from MDF in a boating application. Its only a matter of time before the humid environment and water will take its toll on the box.
    Go with 3/4" marine plywood that is resined and glassed. Or like others have spoken about, a custom fiberglass enclosure.
    Just my opinion

MOBrien
    Yep, this post is back and I need some more advice from you guys. Figured I'd just re-instate this one so you may remember me. Here goes------------------------
    My local stereo guy recommended 4 Eclipse 6.5's & 2 Eclipse 6x9's running off an Arc XXK4050 and a pair of JL12's gettin it from a JL5001 ....or maybe drop to one 12 and power it with the JL2501 to save some coin. As well, a Pioneer Premier head unit (servo'd swing out face with all the EQ bells-n-whistles and full color graphics/remote)..not sure of the model # but it's pretty jazzy.
    Thoughts?...professional opinions on this config? Would average stereo joe (that's me) be happy with this installed at approx. $2000...or less if I went with the single 12/JL2501 setup. Good deal or no?
    Also, I have installed my fair share of stereo's back in the day of my hammered VW GTi's...and am not opposed to spending time on a weekend to do the layout & installation. Anyone got an idea on what the above mentioned equip would cost if I were to buy it from a discount broker and could avoid full retail?
    Thanx!
    A penny saved, is another penny towards more HP!

jbtrailerjim
    Originally posted by MOBrien
    Yep, this post is back and I need some more advice from you guys. Figured I'd just re-instate this one so you may remember me. Here goes------------------------
    My local stereo guy recommended 4 Eclipse 6.5's & 2 Eclipse 6x9's running off an Arc XXK4050 and a pair of JL12's gettin it from a JL5001
    I'm running an Arc XXK 4050 to power my Arc 6.5" and I'm running an Arc XXK 2100 to push my Arc 12" sub's. I'm by no means an expert when it come to stereo stuff. But I was more interested in having a clean sounding system than just having a loud ok sounding system. So, that's what my installer recomended. I'm probably gonna add 1 more set of 6.5" and one more Arc XXK 4050 amp. I think if you go with Arc you will be happy with the performance of the amps.

riverbound
    That system will give you what you are looking for. Are the Eclipse speakers the se series? If they are you will be very happy with this setup we use the eclipse se speakers in most of the boats we do. stay away from the Eclipse point source speakers. The price seems very fair. Good luck with it it sounds like you are on the right track.

MOBrien
    Thanks for jumping back in guys. A really appreciate your input. Yes, I do believe the Eclipses were the Se line. Should I commit to the JL amp for the subs or go with the ARC 2100(or larger) to keep the system uniform by way of power? Also, I have dual batt's, yet he is recommending adding a third. Necessary? Lastly, Is it easy to have them wire in an additional remote to the bow section?
    Thanks again!!!
    -MOB

Dan Lorenze
    I currently have 2-12" Sony Explod subs under the bow being powered by a 1000w Sony Explod amp. Also I have 4 no-name 6x9's in the cabin w/ 2 flush mount tweeters in the dashboard powered by a 400 watt Lanzar amp in my Mini daycruiser. It sounds great but it's just not loud enough. In the cockpit the music sounds full and deep. The only problem is when we're on the beach you can hardly hear the music.... the boat sounds like it has an AM radio.... What should I do?
    Dan

MOBrien
    DL,
    Is your engine compartment open or hatched? If it's hatched, you can mount a pair of 6x9's on the underside of the hatch in small enclosures. When you're hanging out on the beach and want to hear your tunes....just open the hatch to reveal those 6x9's that would end up firing toward the beach if you're bow-in....or install them on swivel mounts (like those used in home theater)so you could fire them down the beach, or in whatever direction, if you wanted to. If you do this you must be careful on the install though. If it's not done right it will look cheesy. I've seen pics of good and bad installs like this.
    That's my $.02....I'm thinking of doing something like this if I run into your same problem.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast