Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Would 4 6x9's & 2 12's suffice?

riverbound
    You can do one of two things. build a pod that will hold a 6x9 that will fit in the tunnel and amd aim it up and towrds your head. Or what we did in our 22 SST was mount the front pair on the bulkhead firing back, I don tknow of this will work for you though.
    I have built pods in the tunnels out if fiberglass but I don't know of your skill level. You could probably use some sort of prefab 6x9 box and put it down there and angle it up to you.
    You should try either one of these and if you have any questions you can always ask.
    stay away form the 4" coax (way too small for a boat). just adding tweeters will not sound good either.

HP350SC
    Thanks Bill! No fibergass experience so...hello 6X9's on the bulkhead. I had old Altec fiber cone 6X9 coax speakers in the wedge type boxes on last boat and they sounded poor. Not enough internal volume in box I think. I tried adding internal damping foam too and still sucked(no low end). Tossed the boxes. Tried them in an infinite baffle arrangement and presto...sounded decent.

riverbound
    Originally posted by HP350SC
    Thanks Bill! No fibergass experience so...hello 6X9's on the bulkhead. I had old Altec fiber cone 6X9 coax speakers in the wedge type boxes on last boat and they sounded poor. Not enough internal volume in box I think. I tried adding internal damping foam too and still sucked(no low end). Tossed the boxes. Tried them in an infinite baffle arrangement and presto...sounded decent.
    Well there you go. Or this could be your chance to learn how to use fiberglass.

ROZ
    All but a few coaxial and component speakers are designed to be run infinite baffle.... Doors and trunks don't have protocall for volume among car manufacturers..... They do have limits, though....
    A little fleece, resign, fiberglass, and a shake will do your body good....

Beer-30
    Riverbound:
    Why not the PointSources instead of the SEs? I am about to replace 1-pair of the 6x9s in Beer-30 with Eclipses, but was gonna go with the Points.
    In my truck, I have the Component 6.5s and respective tweeters in the front doors. PointSource 5.25s in the rear doors and PointSource 4s in the rear cab-corners. An Eclipse PA-5422 runs them with a 5504 head unit and 21010 EQ. The bass is all RF, 2-10XLCs with a Punch 125.2 running to them at 2Ohms. I have been so happy with this system for almost 7 years with nothing replaced! I am definitely an Eclipse fan! So clean.
    Anyway, if I turn the fader up to the front components and then back to the rear PointSources, I could almost be happier with the rears! I am just curious why not the PointSource 6x9s?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567