Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intercoolers??????

565edge
    Unchained hows the boat running?

superdave013
    Unchained:
    My homemade intercooler has worked out pretty well so far.
    Mark, Have you measuered how much it drops your temps?? And do you know the pressure drop across it?

Unchained
    superdave013
    Mark, Have you measuered how much it drops your temps?? And do you know the pressure drop across it? [/QB]I don't have a pressure tap above the intercooler, only one below it, so I can't compare the two. The ECU has a data record function so that you can read what the engine has done for up to a 4 minute span and that's how you can review all the sensor readings and what point on the fuel map you were running on.
    The readings that I have gotten on the air temps below the intercooler are in the upper 90's but it seems that to get a true efficiency reading you would need to have a steady load and high boost for maybe 15 seconds and that would only be possible on a dyno. Even when I ran the boost up to 20lbs the air temp reading only went up a few degrees because it was only for a few seconds. The intercooler full of lake water resists changing temp quickly and mine probably has more water and fins than most.
    I just changed the cam to try to calm the engine down a bit. It want's to run right up to 20lbs+ boost at 5000 rpms and that is higher than where I wanted to run at for fuel map adjusting. That has prevented me from making full power passes.
    Also I have had a number of small problems that needed to be worked out.
    Had to go to shielded cable from the MSD to the coil because the signal was affecting the ECU.
    I've had to add some additional heat shielding around the headers and the turbo's.
    I found that I have to shoot raw fuel into the scoop to fire it the first time of the day because the mechanical pump doesn't make much pressure at cranking speed. On the off season I intend to hook up an electric pump to the fuel pressure line that will turn on with the starter and put some pressure in the system. After the engine fires the fuel pressure comes right up and is good for the day.
    Mostly I've had a learning curve on the fuel and ignition maps.
    I seen the pictures that you put up of the Turbo'ed ski race boats, Were those guys all running EFI?

Jbb
    MAXIMUS:
    Did you get any of that JBB??? I hear it ...I understood it....Then my brain went into full lock up......I hate it when that happens....

Blown 472
    What keeps the fuel from puddling under the intercooler on a pull thru carb dealio?? also wouldn't the air in the blower get hotter due to the restriction from the intercooler??

NoGoSlo
    I had my superchiller leak like hbhallet. It was under a Littlefield 6-71. If you run a superchiller, be careful to limit the water pressure. I did hydraulic my motor . . . [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/914Early_morning_2X1.jpg[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12