Thread: Please Help an IE Whacker Out

PurplePoison
    I wanna get some performance upgrades done on my 1988 150hp Merc O/B and am lookin for someone to do the job. I am in the Corona/Lake Elsinore area and am hoping not to have to drive too far. The work Iam considering is the installation of some Boyson Reeds an Exhaust Tuner a solid set of motor mounts oh yeah and to have my leaking/slipping trim fixed. Please point me in the right direction.

bilgewiper
    Sorry can't help you with the right shop/etc. But, I did notice you have a boat that's is similar to mine although a bit bigger. I did the Boysen reed thing myself and and it seemed to help slightly with mid range (89' merc 200). I also put solid motor mounts in mine. After two seasons of living with them I am going to pull them back out. The added vibration that ripples through the boat from 5 to 20mph wasn't worth the gains in steering etc. considering I use mine as a "family" boat. My 18' Lavey, possibly unlike your 20' has the motor mounted on a 16" setback which I think at that length amplifies engine vibration thru the hull with solid mounts. I was going after getting rid of some 60+mph chine walk. Changing props and putting the motor up a hole on setback was more effective.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...er_008-med.jpg

PurplePoison
    Wow, it sounds like you know what you are talkin about. This is the begining of my second season with a boat and am finding that there are endless possibilities on what I can do for better performance. Most of which cost alot of money. Would ya mind emailin me some photos of your ride?

bilgewiper
    Now if I could only convince my wife that "I know what I am talking about" .....LOL!
    For pictures look in ***boat picture gallerie and search "bilgewiper" should be some burried in those 3 pages or so there.
    So lets see some of yours..............wish mine was the 20' even though my motor is a '89 my hull is a '85. Does yours have hydralic steering? I am still trying to figure out who the manufacture of it was.......stickers are unreadable now.

bilgewiper
    oops...guess those are really at ***boat.net in the image center

PurplePoison
    Nice photos. Boat looks clean. My steering is not hydro. I have been thinkin about hookin it up though. I have heard its not really worth it for my set up. Could I set up a Hydro Jack Plate on the 16"set back?

Tom Brown
    I wanna get some performance upgrades done on my 1988 150hp Merc O/B and am lookin for someone to do the job. I am in the Corona/Lake Elsinore area and am hoping not to have to drive too far. The work Iam considering is the installation of some Boyson Reeds an Exhaust Tuner a solid set of motor mounts oh yeah and to have my leaking/slipping trim fixed. Please point me in the right direction.
    PP, I know this is not what you want to hear or even what you are asking for but I wouldn't bother with the Boyesen reeds unless you plan on turning your engine faster than 6000 RPM. The power you gain will be minute. Forget the tuner... it won't make any difference at all.
    Like BW said, solid mounts might help with your chine walk but aren't necessarily required at your performance level. With a 20' boat and a 150 powerhead, you should be fine with rubber mounts.
    My unwanted advice is to have your trim fixed and look for a deal on a 91+ Merc 200 carbed powerhead. It will be 2.5 liters, will bolt right on, and will provide the best bang for the buck. You should be able to find one pretty cheap.... just keep your eyes peeled.

PurplePoison
    Hey Tom, Thanks alot, that is the advise I was lookin for. Im gunna check the classifieds now for that powerhead.