Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat length in Topock Gorge

nielly
    Talk around town is that there might be a limit on boat lengths traveling through Topock Gorge. Has anybody else heard of it. I know Parker Strip might limit 28' or larger boats. I hope that's the case. It sucks when you have two 30' cats racing towards you going through the Gorge hoping that they are not drunk.

victorfb
    id hate to see them limit anything, anywere. i hear you on the scary feeling of the boats racing toward you in such a tight area, but remember even a small boat can be dangerous and especially when drinking is involved. i actually prefer it when the larger boats are running at speed as they dont leave a huge wake as if they were traveling slow. its the slower boats (any size) that creat havoc for us freeboard challenged boaters. especially the wake board boats that want to cruise just above idle. going through the gorge is my favorite area of the river, but unfortunatly it gets very dangerous and crowded. about the only limiting i would be comfortable with is the side by side racing. two is scary enough, but ive seen 3 and 4 of them monsters coming toward me and thats scary. there is just not enough safety margin in some of those sections of river. and you know damn well that not one of them will let off if they even see another boat in the way. all i can say is just be careful, and keep alert. even scooby-do's or see-do's or whatever they are can be dangerous when operated by an idiot.

shadow
    nielly,I hate to burst your bubble but there aint gonna be no 28' or larger limit on Parker Strip.Like victorfb stated any boat can be dangerous when alcohol is in volved.
    2 30' cats racing towards you,hoping they're not drunk?
    If you are driving your boat on the side you are supposed to be on you shouldn't have to worry about them

Roman 1
    Originally posted by nielly
    Talk around town is that there might be a limit on boat lengths traveling through Topock Gorge. Has anybody else heard of it. I know Parker Strip might limit 28' or larger boats. I hope that's the case. It sucks when you have two 30' cats racing towards you going through the Gorge hoping that they are not drunk.
    I agree, the gorge has been turned into an offshore freeway on weekends. These guys have no concept of what they do to a low profile boat just trying to float down stream.
    Personnally I've been strafed at less then 10 feet many times by some idiot running 70 plus in his "Queen Mary" sized piece of shit! (man I'm building momentum now!)
    Keep the ocean boats in the ocean! Hell, I'll even compromise. Try this on...How about allowing the ocean boats 28' and up on Mead, Tahoe and Havasu below the Gorge.
    I understand that its not the boat its the operator, but these f--king primo-donnas are clueless!!! Or worse, they dont give a f--k!!

shadow
    Answer me this einstien?
    Would you take your kids skate board and sit in the middle of Los Angeles frwy traffic?Then why in the hell do you go float in the middle of what you call offshore freeway on weekends where the idiots in their Queen Mary sized piece of shits run?What the **** do you expect?you want no wake?GO TO A NO WAKE ZONE!

Roman 1
    Originally posted by shadow
    Answer me this einstien?
    Would you take your kids skate board and sit in the middle of Los Angeles frwy traffic?Then why in the hell do you go float in the middle of what you call offshore freeway on weekends where the idiots in their Queen Mary sized piece of shits run?What the **** do you expect?you want no wake?GO TO A NO WAKE ZONE!
    Since the small boats came first...maybe you need a different perspective! Its more like taking your kids skateboarding at a skateboard park and having a bunch of cars racing through with reckless abandon sometimes even drunk!
    Why should we have to move??? Take your big slow piece of shit to the water it was intended for!
    Now this next one is gonna hurt!
    Its obvious that your one of these guys out to show off your pride and joy!! But the sad truth is anyone can go down to the corner boat lot and buy exactly the same thing you have. BFD! Why don't you build something with your own hands with some originallity. How do you find your boat in the parking lot when it looks exactly like the rest of the yuppie rides sitting next to it at the hotel??
    Einstien:yuk:

MudPumper
    WOW, it's been a while since shit like this happened around here!!! Now wheres my popcorn???

wrightnow
    Originally posted by shadow
    Answer me this einstien?
    Yea there is a time and place if you want to go and float, but I have to agree with Roman on this, too many times some a$$ hole goes pass me about 10 feet away thats not freeboard challenge and swaps us not giving a shit!!! I just dont think it's limit to the big boats.
    And no I would not let my kid play on the frwy, but when there are smaller kids around, I have them play easy so every one can play and not get hurt.
    Mark

sidewound
    Dumbass Me ------------- ME DUMAH!!

Tom Foolery
    Personally I wouldn't like to se any restrictions on boats anywhere.
    Once you open the door to restricting boats on length, noise level, two or four stroke, whatever, you are making us vunerable to those who will fight to slowly make the restrictions stricter and stricter with the goal of stoping all boating in some areas.
    Do I like ocean boats in the river. No, but I'm glad they have the right to be there. It means my right to be there too is still safe.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast