Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Octane testing?

froggystyle
    My impression was that there is two benefits to octane. Ability to run higher compression/boost, and advance your timing to optimum curve. The only way you will get power out of the advanced timing, is if you had it retarded to allow for pump gas. If you are running full advance with no detonation with 92, I don't think that AV gas has any magical properties that would increase power. Could be wrong though. PonPon? You out there???

Boater Bill
    Re octane maybe this will help. Quoted from VP Brochure.
    Question: How much Octane do I need?
    Ans: Only enough to stop preignition and/or detonation. Remember there are other important factors in power output than just octane. Octane is not the measure of the fuel's power output, it is only a measure of its resistance to preignition and detonation in an octane engine.

MrHavasuCat
    Av gas at the 76 station by queens bay resort in havasu is $2.25 per gallon. They also sell it for a little cheaper at the "super fuels" up the road, but I have heard bad things about the quality of their fuel. I run a blown 510, 8-71 w/9# boost. The engine builder recomended running straight av-gas, and it runs great.
    [This message has been edited by MrHavasuCat (edited June 27, 2001).]

900rats
    FYI, The 76 gas stations here in Glendale just lowered their octane points from 92 to 91. Does anyone know where to fill up on 100 octane fuel around Burbank?

hey rats,try calling downs fuel in corona they have stations all over the place the one by my house in corona carries 110 at the pump.the stations are called cfn and a few other names also.there a lot of them around the river area.

Jungle Boy
    Why not buy a can of VP C-12 fuel and mix 20% VP with premium fuel (more if needed). It is designed for race motors (lubricants). A/V gas is for planes and burns dry. Nothing beats the smell of burnt VP gas in morning.

racingrascal
    What is a good octane additive and how much does it cost?

SUPERCREWJOHN
    Originally posted by 900rats:
    FYI, The 76 gas stations here in Glendale just lowered their octane points from 92 to 91. Does anyone know where to fill up on 100 octane fuel around Burbank?
    Hi 900Rats..I recently purchased 100 Octane at the 76 Station in San Marino( just south of Pasadena for those that dont know he area) off of Huntington Drive-just past Atlantic if youre going east. They get a lot of Super-exotic traffic from San Marino so they need to have some better gas..besides they figure the clients will pay the 2.80/gal..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123