Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done this upgrade for the 496 HO yet???

Chris Winn
    i read about this company, and called the owner, he seemed really nice and advised that the package (heads, intake manifold and roller rockers) was worth about 525 hp on the 496 HO (with stock manifolds). Ray (the owner) further davised that the package would run for about $5k (much for for your money than the AZS&M kit) and the heads saved about 110lbs in the process.
    any comments on the company? has anyone done this yet???
    here is their website:
    www.raylarengine.com

Chris Winn
    OK, since no one seems to have used them, does this package seems feasable for 100+ hp, for 5 k that is pretty resonable for the HP.
    has anyone done anything different to the 496 yet other than a blower?

dicudmore
    bump,
    waiting for the same answer.....
    all i've done with mine so far is add fuel

Chris Winn
    hey D
    what speed are you getting on your 29, i'm have only pulled about 67 (GPS) with fumes and an empty bladder.

rivercrazy
    I'm also curious about this upgrade. Seems somewhat reasonable on the HP vs. cost ratio. Whipple has some nice upgrade alternatives but they are pretty costly.

Chris Winn
    the owner (Ray) was very nice to speak with. he really seems that he has done his homework on thsi package.
    Ray advised that he is shipping the package to Whipple to do some ECU work on it, the cusrrent figures that i gave are with the stock CPU and 87 octane, since the heads raise the compresstion to 10-1 (ray said that they have many dyno runs completed with perfect reliability on a stock ecu and 87), that 91 octane and some tweaking to the ECU could only make it better.
    Ray also advised that they are almost done with a cam that is smother than the factory merc truck cam (i didn't know there was any issues) and made more power (especially in the mid-range)
    i like the sound of this package, just imagine using his forged pistons w/ a Whipple combo, that would really be a runner!

shadow
    Chris, did Ray mention anything about reprograming the ECU?
    I'm sure with these mods it would have to be done.I know a guy who on the same automotive engines is installing higher volume,matched sets of injectors and doing the reprogram, but the problem with doing this in Marine application is the reprograming.everything is the same except the ECU and the connector.From what I understand if it's the standard GM connector it can be done easily. With the marine connector may be limited to people with the equipment and the auth to do so. Az speed and marine\ Whipple etc. I'm sure theres someone here that has more knoledge than me on this and can inform us?

shadow
    you just answered the ECU question.You were a step a head of me.
    Thanks

Ivan Dan
    Hey Chris~
    If you find anymore about this package could you please PM me with it. I am extremely interested in this as well. Are you guys able to get yours over about 4800 rpm? What RPM do you cruise at say heading to or from the sand bar?
    On a great day with cooler conditions, light on petrol, and just my bro and I we have seen 70 on GPS but with the hotter weather the most i have seen is about 65/66 or so.
    DAN

rivercrazy
    I have a 496HO and get 5150 rpm out of mine with both a Revolution 4 23P four blade and a 24P Bravo One four blade. This is fully trimmed out with a light load. 25 Shockwave Tremor closed bow.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast