Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done this upgrade for the 496 HO yet???

Salty Cracker
    I was told by a tech that (as a general rule) after 70mph it takes about 13hp for every mph.
    Don't know how true that is, never tested it......yet

Chris Winn
    the 110lbs in weight savings (vs the stock iron heads) is worth a few HP as well (or 1/2 a passenger on ave)

Toomstone
    thanks shadow,
    now can you tell me if a bravo one drive can handle that much horsepower?

dicudmore
    sure it can if you drive it right.....
    if you like to nail it out of the hole, then its probably not for you

shadow
    Originally posted by Toomstone
    thanks shadow,
    now can you tell me if a bravo one drive can handle that much horsepower?
    I'm with dicudmore on that.It can handle it but wont like being hammered on.

Toomstone
    i have some more question for you engine smart guys...
    whats the most horsepower you seen put on a bravo one and it lasted a few years?
    would hammering it and a backing off the throttle like in wakeboarding hurt the drive alot?
    and is there anything in this kit that would change the sound of the boat greatly?

Chris Winn
    hello tombstone,
    i think that if you are gentle the B1 will last just fine, i had the XR added to mine just in case when i had it built
    as far as sound goes, i do not think that it will change much, the cam that Ray is developing is suppose to ide smoother than stock (who know what that will affect??)
    i want to see some dyno results and make my judgement there.

shadow
    Originally posted by Toomstone
    i have some more question for you engine smart guys...
    whats the most horsepower you seen put on a bravo one and it lasted a few years?
    would hammering it and a backing off the throttle like in wakeboarding hurt the drive alot?
    and is there anything in this kit that would change the sound of the boat greatly?
    keep in mind I,m no expert here but my guess is you could comfortably put 500-550hp to a stock bravo drive and with regular maint,and not to much abuse I don't see why you couldn't get a good couple of seasons. As far as sound,without changing exhaust I wouldn't think there will be a lot of change.Maybe slightly healthier sounding.Pulling a wake board or skier won't hurt nothing.I've got 496ho with bravo one and drive the piss out of it.Regular maint and drive shower,no problems

Toomstone
    thanks again chris and shadow
    hey chris im gunna be at the magic regatta too post a picture of you boat and ill see if i can find you there.
    heres mine
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...re_245-med.jpg

Raylar
    Hey Toomstone:
    The sound of this engine is probably more dependant on the exhaust system on your boat than a horsepower increase in your engine. The engine seems to have a little louder roar at high rpms on the dyno but I don't believe you would see any real change in levels in the boat at most speeds and at the faster speeds the boat will achieve with more power the added wind noise would most likely cancel out any slight increase. Biggest change would probably be the big grin on your face! We don't want your boat to just make more noise, Raylar wants it to go faster!
    We will have our heads on a Southern California boat in about two weeks and you guys will be able to get confirmation from the owner very soon.We don't want any "guinea Pigs" just a lot of happy boat owners.
    Hey Chris:
    If you call me next week I will set up a time for you to come by our dyno test site and actually see our parts in action. As for durability question we have made over 62 power pulls on the dyno to 5100 rpm loaded and we have not seen a single problem or part degredation on our heads, springs, valves, rocker arms, head bolts or head gaskets, These dyno pulls are just like 62 high speed all out speed runs on your boat. Think about that kind of use and you will see these are highly durable parts meant for serious trouble free performance use.
    Thanks Again,
    Ray at Raylar

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast