Thread: Shoe and rideplate 101?

Jet Novice
    I would like for someone to give me a 101 on when a shoe and rideplate needs to be used and when you are just as well off without one. I've read that they are good but have also read about people removing them and the boat runs better and faster without them.
    I'm in the process of blueprinting the bottom of my 18 ft 1976 Hawaiian and should be re-setting the intake in a week or so. I'll be running about 400-425 hp but may throw some real hp at it later if everything works good. Like everyone else, I'd like to get every frickin mph out of it that can be had.
    What is the optimal setup for using a shoe and rideplate? When do you need them and when are you just as well off without them?
    Thanks guys!

BrendellaJet
    If you are thinking about doing it, I say go for it. The intake needs to be out to have the work done, now seems like the best time to do that. I dont think I have ever heard of anyone taking one off and the boat running faster. They could have the shoe shimmed too low and that could create drag. Just takes an adjustment to fix that.
    Generally speaking, I think 70 mph is a good point to install the shoe/rideplate. Others may disagree. All depends on what your goals are with the hull. If you want to go fast, do some research and find out if anyone has gone fast with your hull. If not, then it may not be the best candidate and in that case I would not waste a bunch of money trying to make it go fast. If it has potential and you want to go fast, then by all means do it now and save yourself the trouble of yanking the motor,pump and intake later on.

Jet Novice
    My boat looks exactly like this one except everywhere this one is white mine is black. Same gold accent. I believe when this one was for sale it was said to be an 80 mph boat.
    Anyone else out there with the same hull with top speed numbers or input on the shoe and rideplate?

BrendellaJet
    I think that boat was in ***boat a few months ago. Nice boat for sure. May be a Southwind copy. Squirtcha? has a southwind copy(I think he knows this guy also maybe?) and hes in the mid 80s with his. Got any pics of the bottom of your boat?