Thread: AN fittings

Speedin' Ian
    I have a bunch of steel braided lines lying around that I want to use on our Hondo. Can I remove the fitting, shorten the hose and reinstall the fitting? And what is the best way to install the fitting? Even with all new stuff I have a hell of a time doing it! I can never get the hose to cut cleanly, and always have a tough time sliding the fitting over the hose.

victorfb
    the reason you have had a tough time may be that the hose did not match the fittings. some manufactures are not the same as others (russel, earls, goodridge, ect ect ect.). i see no problem removing the fitting you have now and re-cut the hose. i prefer to cut it with a bandsaw. useing a little duct tape wrapped around were you want to cut also helps to keep the braids together. some actually use a hatchet which ive done succesfully, and some even use a hammer and chisle. i prefer the bandsaw because it doesnt callaps the hose as you cut it. just be sure to blow out any debrit that gets in the line. good luck, and whatever extra lines you dont use send em my way.

Ian if you need some hoses cut just bring em by. We have a knife edge hinged skill saw that cuts cleanly with no tape or other screwing around. Just mark them and we'll make the cuts for you if you like.
    Also there are 2 "basic" hose end designs. The "cutter" design and the "compression" design. If you have the cutters you may have to dig the old hose out of the cutter blade with a very small pic type tool.

Speedin' Ian
    thanks for the advice guys and thank you Rexone for offering up your services, I would take you up on it but the drive to your shop is too far. My bro has a metal cutting band, so I'm going to experiment with a few different techniques.

Schiada76
    Ian,
    Chisel works fine just tape it before you cut it. (Altough Rex's offer is best). I use the nylon reinforced packing tape since it's only about a 1/2" wide. Use soft jaws for putting the fitting in your vice and they go together pretty easy. Lube the hose first too. You can borrow my jaws if want or go to Orme Brothers in Reseda to buy a pair.
    BTW REX, Just got another small part from you guys and the service was perfect as usual!

VD CRUISER
    An angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel works good for cutting the hose. Also if you don't have the aluminum AN wrenches , tape on an adjustable wrench works pretty well.