Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adjusting Roller Rockers Small Block Chevy

baddassbaron
    After snugging up pushrods, how much more of a turn do you tighten nut. Any other tricks ??. After all complete, tightening rockers should there be any slop in pushrod. Some rockers and pushrods are a little looser than others? Any help.........

RACER52
    solid or hydraulic????
    solid will have whatever slop you gave it.
    Hydraulic shouldnt have any once the lifter is full.

Moneypitt
    There is several ways to adjust the valves. Which way are you using? And what type camshaft, solid, hydrolic, roller???

tbanzer
    I like to adjust all my intake valves then all my exhaust valves to zero lash then 1/2 turn additional for some lifter preload on hydraulic camshafts.I start at #1 cylinder with the exhaust valve just starting to open, this is when the intake is on the base circle so adjust #1 intake. Now continue on through the fireing order and doo the remaning cylinders intakes the same way. Now bring #1 cylinder to a point where the intake valve is just closing, this is when the exhaust valve is on its base circle, again go through the firing order for the remaning exhaust valves.. Adjust all valves while turning the pushrod so you can feel when the rocker starts to take up the lash. Like I said I set all the valves to zero lash,,, then turn all an additional 1/2 turn.

396_Z
    Am I the only guy here that adjusts them while the engine is running?

baddassbaron
    Hydraulic Comp Cam with Comp Hydraulic Lifters and Hardin Shape Roller Rockers 1.5 ratio. All on top of Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads.
    What is method best used to re-adjust everything?? I think I screwed something up as some push rods are lstill oose. Thought adjusted correctly, turned 3/4 turn after push rod being snug??????

Originally posted by 396_Z
    Am I the only guy here that adjusts them while the engine is running?
    Probably. That makes a friggin mess! Who wants to clean up after that?
    Badassbaron, if some are still loose, you probably weren't on the cam's base circle when you adjusted. Go back through using the method described by "tbanzer" above. I also would only go 1/2 turn past zero lash unless the cam/lifter instructions say otherwise.
    By the way, "zero lash" is the point at which you detect the pushrods just going from loose to snug.

Fiat48
    Originally posted by baddassbaron
    Hydraulic Comp Cam with Comp Hydraulic Lifters and Hardin Shape Roller Rockers 1.5 ratio. All on top of Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads.
    What is method best used to re-adjust everything?? I think I screwed something up as some push rods are lstill oose. Thought adjusted correctly, turned 3/4 turn after push rod being snug??????
    Do it like tbanzer said.

1BIGJIM
    Just my additional comments. Adjust the valves exactly like comp cams says. It just like what is said above. I always adjust one cylinder at a time and move on to the next. Any of these methods will work as long as the lifter is on the base of the circle.
    And yes I was taught many years ago to adjust the valves when the engine is running and I still have the little clamp on deflectors if someone would like to buy them.

GofastRacer
    The only way to do it is the way "tbanzer" says, EO/IC!. If it's hydraulic take all slack from pushrod then add 1/2 turn. if it's a solid, set lash with feeler guage according to cam ticket!..
    BTW, adjusting valves while the motor is running just beats the shit out of feeler guages and makes a mess, even with those deflector chingaderas!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast