Thread: Fuel/ignition for Glastron V174 Berkley Jet

scoker
    My apologies if these are "old" questions. This is my first post. My 1971 Glastron Crestflite V174 350 cid Chevy- Berkely Jet has been garaged for 20 years since I moved away. Now I'm back and want to get it running again. It is in mint condition other than setting up for so long. My questions are 1) what are the ramifications of running current 93 octane unleaded in this old high-compression engine? Are lead substitutes and octane boosters necessary? 2) Is an electronic ignition a viable upgrade? (I hate setting points) Any other upgrades, suggestions, warnings, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    P.S Has Rochester Quadrajet carb

sidewound
    Welcome to the forums scoker.
    Electronic ignition is surely a viable upgrade. I havn't had the $ to change mine over yet.
    Are you going to lube the cylinders and try rolling it over by hand first. That's a long time for a motor to sit.
    My motor is only 9.5 to 1 so I can run pump gas in it. What's the numbers on yours.
    Got any pics?
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

scoker
    Thanks sidewound. No pics yet - have some slides from '71 but will post some digital pics soon. BTW, love your converses!

bilgewiper
    If it's a original stock 71 350 engine it might of started life in the truck division and not the auto engine shop where compression was still up at GM for the last year before droping for the 72 model year. 71 trucks didn't have the high compression that that the cars did. My stock 71 truck runs just fine on todays regular unleaded

bilgewiper
    I installed Petronix electronic ignition and have been very happy with it. It starts so fast that I doubt that the crank turns 1/4 revolution before it lights off. My old points never did that.