Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knock Knock Revisited

Schiada76
    I knew it was the oil that caused my problem! I pulled my motor and started tearing it down yesterday, pulled one valve cover then the next and there it was! A $@#@#^&&*%%$ rocker arm sitting there loose on the head. So I figure the Mobil One is so slick that it must have caused the poly lock to back off. It couldn't have been anything I did. Right? LOL
    Seriously though, what could I have done or what would cause this? Motor has about 8 to 10 hours on it since last tear down and the rockers and poly locks were brand new. Good thing I pulled the motor before finding this simple problem. I'll be changing heads and cam but I'd like to know if anyone has any input on what would cause this.
    The really embarrassing thing is I fning knew it was probably a rocker but didn't check due to serious brain fart.

slowpoke
    Too bad that you yanked the whole motor and found the rocker problem.
    Mobil One is good oil after all.

Schiada76
    Hey Slowpoke! First post ehh? You're no longer a virgin. How's the Beast coming?

Infomaniac
    BradP:
    I knew it was the oil that caused my problem! I pulled my motor and started tearing it down yesterday, pulled one valve cover then the next and there it was! A $@#@#^&&*%%$ rocker arm sitting there loose on the head. So I figure the Mobil One is so slick that it must have caused the poly lock to back off. It couldn't have been anything I did. Right? LOL
    Seriously though, what could I have done or what would cause this? Motor has about 8 to 10 hours on it since last tear down and the rockers and poly locks were brand new. Good thing I pulled the motor before finding this simple problem. I'll be changing heads and cam but I'd like to know if anyone has any input on what would cause this.
    The really embarrassing thing is I fning knew it was probably a rocker but didn't check due to serious brain fart. It has screw in studs?

KC
    AmsOil!

Dave F
    I usually just torque my rocker studs to around 40#. Although the "loctite" thing is a good practice.
    It sounds like a "shit happens" thing to me.
    Sometimes there is just no other explanation
    DAVE

Schiada76
    Talked to a friend of mine who races and he said you need to set the nut to proper lash, tighten the poly and then crank the nut one more 1/4 to 1/2 turn to lock the poly down. Does this sound right? The stud was not loose by the way, just the rocker.
    [ September 05, 2002, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: BradP ]

Snowboat
    That sounds wrong to me. You set the lash with the nut, back up the nut so it won't move with a wrench, snug the allen screw up firmly, and then put your stud girdle on. The way he decribed will change your lash. A stud girdle is not much money and nothing will come loose.

Schiada76
    Will a stud girdle clear valve covers that are beveled to clear headers?

gnarley
    Sounds like who ever set the lash didn't tighten the poly locks enough, sorry JMHO
    I have adjusted more of these than I care to remember & using a go-no-go feeler gauge I always started by setting a little loose then tighten the poly lock set screw then continued to tighten the adjusting nut itself until the lash felt correct. I've never... NEVER ever had one come loose or lost one. If you don't lock the set screw in by tightening the adjusting nut a bit more they can back off as the set screw does not have enough torque on it to hold the nut in place unless you put a girdle on it. And if you don't lock that set set screw in place they may come out! I remember helping a friend run his valves & found a set screw in the screen in a head! eek! It could of done major damage if it wasn't stopped by the screen. Needless to say he never snugged the set screws again, he tightened them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast