Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sinking Stories

Hallett19
    I know its a scary issue, but I want to know if anyone has sank and how it happened. I almost sank once, I had water up to the floor of my boat before I beached it, turns out I had a very large crack in the bottom of my boat from all the crap I had in the ski locker, stressed out the bottom and let that thing crack. If anything, it might be helpful for some of us to know what happened and what NOT to do and what TO do when something like this happens. So, lets hear it !!

Mandelon
    Shower on, bilge pumps off.... in the channel.....read that somewheres...
    Beautiful Noise had the problem once......He's got pics. I think it just got swamped though.

Cheap Thrills
    I left the boat outside with the plug in during a BIG rain storm sunk that phucker right on the trailer .
    does that count ?
    C.T. :wink:

Lake Pirate
    One of these days when I'm in the mood to type my ass off I'll tell a couple of stories. I've sunk, run aground (twice), been in two hurricanes, pulled out three people drowning, found one dead body and flipped a boat. No hero stuff from me. I either shook or cried like a little girl every time.
    Want to ride with me?

Phat Matt
    My cousin use to have a little 19 foot, I think it was a Nordic jet boat. You know one of those little bastards that would sink if you slowed down to fast and didn't hit the thottle in front of the wake. Anyway, we were launching at Windsor and I was in the boat driving with his wife (my cousin) while he backed up the truck. I pulled over to the dock and waited for him. When I noticed my feet getting wet I though the drain on the cooler was left open or something. Then I looked back in the engine compartment and it was full of water. It was inches from coming over the back so I jumped in and stuck my thumb in the plug and told my cousin to turn the pump on and find the spare plug. she found it. I put it in. and we started bailling out the water. My cousin parking the truck came back and said sorry, I thought it was in. It was his boat anyway so oh well. That is as close to sinking as I have been in a boat. Although a boat 2 boats over from us sank in copper canyon last year. Too many people tried to get on the back of a jet boat and see ya. That thing went down QUICK.

BarryMac
    Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
    I left the boat outside with the plug in during a BIG rain storm sunk that phucker right on the trailer .
    does that count ?
    C.T. :wink:
    yeah does that count? I did the same ****ing thing...
    gjb

UltraLucky
    About 12 years ago was eating breakfast at the Natical Inn. I looked out the window just in time to see the ass end of my old Beismeyer Runner bottom go under. The boat got swamped while tied to there old docks.

Hallett19
    Thats it, none of you guys have any really great stories ?? Lucky bastards never sink, ha ? !!!

Wally_Gator
    Over on the Just Jet's page, this guy had an unfortunate problem.
    Check out this guy that just had a serious run in with water. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=49766)

BADBLOWN572
    At Mojave about 2 years ago, a jet boat was camped along side of a houseboat and overnight the boat started taking in water. They had nothing to get the water out with and the bilge pump would not work. The boat was ready to go down. We were driving by and they flagged us down. Our buddy took one of the girls back into the marina with our boat so she could back the trailer into the water. We waited about 15 minutes, fired the boat up, and pulled the plug (only way to get the water out) We told the guy to haul the mail back to the Marina (about 5 miles away) to get the water out. We told him whatever he did, don't stop! We followed him back in another boat. Full throttle right through the 5mph zone and right on the trailer. Pulled the boat out of the water and was fine. No problems. Found out later what caused it was the guy installed a set of dual batteries and when he did, he put 4 screws through the bottom of the boat. When the guy left the cove, the boat was ready to go down. When he pulled it out, I would guess about 5 gallons came out of it. Risky move intentionally pulling the plug, but only way to get the water out of the boat at times.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast