Thread: BBC cranks but won't start

Vintage Eliminator 21
    I've been coming to this forum for several months, right after I bought my boat, and have got tons of usefull info. Been a big help.
    Here's where I need some ideas and input.
    Went out last weekend and my boat ran well. Went to the ramp today and cranked but no spark. It has an Accel HEI Super coil mounted on top of the distributor. I checked the fuses, that I could find, and all ok. How can I check to see if the coil is bad?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

lilrick
    module could be bad too..is the wire on all of the way?

Vintage Eliminator 21
    I checked to make sure the two wires going to the coil were connected and they were. I did not notice any other wires going to the distributor. The coil has a red and yellow wire coming off of it.

1Bahnerjet
    I'm not a Mechanic, but this is a Good question for Gearheads forum.
    hey, but since your from Texas, a guy I work with showed me (online) houses in texas (Houston) 2 story, 2,000 sq. ft., brick on outside, hardwood floors on inside on a lot for $125,000. I told the guy no way, we work in Nor Cal Bay area where fixer uppers go for 1/2 mil. he already bought his plane ticket. is it B.S.

Vintage Eliminator 21
    1Bahnerjet
    The price sounds right for some of the houses in Houston . In Dallas there seems to be alot of people investing in residential real estate now. I'm sure the same is happening in Houston. You might tell your friend to check this website out http://www.creonline.com/real-estate-clubs/tx.html. It has several real estate investment clubs listed.

Infomaniac
    Pull the coil wire off, hold it 1" or so away from the coil and see if it sparks. That will tell you if the coil is getting juice or not.
    A timing light on the plug wire will you if the plug is firing or not.

hack job
    i have seen those accel super coils go bad they just give out . do like info said and test it that way

Moneypitt
    coil in the cap, how do you make it arc?..........MP

Vintage Eliminator 21
    On my old boat (bought new in 1978-Beachcomber Renegade), it had the round coil and points. I knew how to test that one. This one, since it's HEI, I don't know-other than crank the motor while the timing light is hooked up.
    Here's a photo of what the coil looks like:http://www.pitstopusa.com/images/ACL140003.jpg
    Can Auto Zone test the coil to see if it's ok?
    Thanks for everyones reply.