Thread: wash tub firepit explosion.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    repo man
    my buddy found a washing machine tub and used it for a fire pit..after about 15 minutes of fire time there was an explosion from the pit . there was shiney shit all over the yard that looked like sand. it seemes to have come from the inside of the tub.my question is what is it ? do they use it to ballance the tub? luckely they were gathering wood when it happened or they could've been hurt. any ideas?

I found this post by googling 'washing machine fire pit explosion'...because, well I had the exact same thing happen to me about 10 years ago. We all had been standing around the 'new' fire pit for about 30 minutes when all of a sudden 'BOOM'! Scared all of us half to death, then all of a sudden it started raining that sandy sparkly stuff. I remember us girls had it all in our hair LOL. My question is, did this forum ever figure out what the cause of it is? Ten years later, I still love my washing machine fire pit, and am wanting to blog about it on my DIY site but I'm afraid this explosion might happen to someone else....would be nice to inform people that it's a possibility of happening and how to prevent it, and still enjoy their new fire pit without any mishaps...any suggestions?