Thread: Temp needle bouncing around

HotHallet
    Last time out I noticed my temp gauge needle (water) was bouncing around while cruising down the river. It wasn't climbing just going up and down fast. I'm thinking maybe the connections on back of dash are loose or the temp sender wires have a bad connection. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Froggystyle
    Gotta be a bad connection. The sending units are based on resistance to ground, and those are not likely to fluctuate that rapidly under any circumstance.
    I would look at connections, or possibly a bad sending unit that is grounding out against it's own case or something.

Hustler
    Sounds like a loose nut
    Check the connections on the motor and the gauge, something is definitly loose.

Bryan Rose
    Had this problem with my oil temp gage doing the same thing, figured oh well I will check it when I get home.... could not wait and decided to look in the bilge ( sender is in the pan ) to see if maybe loose conection . Guess what it , it was an empty beer can one of my buddies threw in the back and it was bumping up against the sender... Moved the beer can and the guauge works flawlessly now.... most likely not your problem but hey you never know.....
    Moral of the story ..... Crush your empty beer cans so they take up less space.
    Bryan

Hotcrusader76
    Originally posted by Hustler
    Sounds like a loose nut
    Check the connections on the motor and the gauge, something is definitly loose.
    What he said

HotHallet
    I will check gauge connections and temp sender connections on Friday after I pull boat out of my storage unit. Thanks for replying! I figured that would be the problem.
    Hey Bryan Rose- My friend Brandon has a habit of throwing beer cans in my bilge and it makes me want to tackle him and kick his ass everytime. I know there is none in there now. My boat is not a trash can!

Bryan Rose
    Originally posted by HotHallet
    I will check gauge connections and temp sender connections on Friday after I pull boat out of my storage unit. Thanks for replying! I figured that would be the problem.
    Hey Bryan Rose- My friend Brandon has a habit of throwing beer cans in my bilge and it makes me want to tackle him and kick his ass everytime. I know there is none in there now. My boat is not a trash can!
    I hear you ... needless to say he does not go to the lake anymore.