Thread: Stock Ignition vs. HEI

socalbanshee
    Hey guys i've got an 89' 24' sun ray looks like the new team hawains. Anyways its got the 300 tempest in it which is a 300 hp 350ci motor. I recently pulled it out and was gonna swap it with a 400 small block but after looking inside this engine i relized it was a pretty trick motor and still in perfect shape so i decided to put a set of vortec heads and a holley carb on it. It seems to run a lot better it does about 65 which isnt bad for a boat this size with a small block. I was just wondering if the stock mercursier ignition was better than the a HEI. Anyone have any experience with this?? Any info would be great i'm just looking for a little more power if its possible i have a few HEI's laying around and was wondering if it would be worth chaning it.

socalbanshee
    anyone know?

tbanzer
    The HEi is not a marine distributor, and I would think twice about useing it in a marine application due to explosion possibilities.

Bondo
    Besides,
    The Merc. T-bolt IV is about as Bullet-Proof as it Gets.............

Bow Tie Omega
    Performance Distributors now has a Coast Guard Approved HEI with its 50,000 volt coil and internals, $310 for a complete ignition system. Unless you are running over 700+ Hp, I would do this if I were you. I have seen their product run first hand, absolutely flawless with much improved performance, with no cutting out at higher rpm and no rough idle/stalling when it gets warm. $310 or $700 for an MSD you will not need. Good Luck...Go to
    www.performancedistributors.com for more info

socalbanshee
    wow ok now i cant decide what to do. Would i be better off going with the HEI marine distributor. Or keeping the stock distributor and buying an msd box for 259?? Does either have an advantage??? Thanx for all the help.

Fiat48