Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album surprises...Got any?

HighRoller
    So this thread is about albums you bought that you got hooked on or ones that surprised the hell out of you. Until a few weeks ago the best album I had ever bought was by "Tantric". No doubt, I have listened to that thing a few hundred times and thought it might be my all time favorite, but we have a new contender in da house now. Was in the record store the other day and the album they played was some kind of lighthearted, funkish new wave. Upon closer listening I determined it be Oingo Boingo. Never been a fan, but within two more tracks I was boppin along through the aisles. Finally I couldn't stand it and had to check out the "now playing box". It's called "Boingo Alive", and I got it for the rippin price of $2.50 used!!!!!! I've already put at least 20 or 30 laps on that thing and love it! It sounds like a live version of their songs but there's no crowd noise so who knows. Color me surprised, but you just never know! you'd recognize a lot of the songs on it. Funky beats, horn section, all that jazz.....Color me surprised. How about you guys? What has been the biggest surprise of your musical selections?

Floored
    love boingo's Dead mans party, the music rocks. original Blues Bro's album turned out to be a favorite and still is, always puts me in a good mood. :sqsmile:

HCS
    I have a bunch of old punk thats my favorite.
    I have a rare studio recording of Christ on Parade that rocks.
    It's on cassette I need to copy it to CD. It would make a excellent black market cut.
    If anyone wants a copy let me know.

GlastronGuy
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.
    Who know I'd like is as much at 45 as I did at 15?

spute
    i have so many...but i think the biggest surprise i ever got off an album may have to be Steely Dan's Aja album.
    i am going to take a big bite off this thread and start a new one. i hope you're not pissed!

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by GlastronGuy
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.
    Who know I'd like is as much at 45 as I did at 15?
    Yeah, to me that album is timeless... and one of the first true sound projects... by Alan Parsons.

Troubles No More
    AC/DC...Back In Black.
    As the years go by this is still my preferred album/CD to listen to when having a beerÂ…

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by titties and beer
    anyone rember "URIAHEAP-DEOMES AND WISERS"SORRYon the spelling
    I had an 8 track of Uriah Heap in my VW Beatle that I just about wore out... played it over and over.....

Cheap Thrills
    I bought a couple of progressive jazz albums years ago that were suprisingly impressive one of them was when CDs were first comming out by a group called
    Flim and the BBs. these guys are tight.
    and put together some of the best upbeat jazz music I have ever listened to.
    The other was an album called
    " Fresh Aire" by Maniheim Steamroller . that was back when synthisizers and MIDI were comming onto the scene which was impressive at the time and sounded really really good after blazing a big dooby
    C.T. :wink:

Dr. Eagle
    Manheim Steamroller is an awesome group
    Also for progressive or fusion jazz there's always
    The Yellowjackets and
    Dixie Dregs...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast