Bought a used boat with an decent audio system (new to the high power audio world) Don't know much about what it is but what I do know is it's a Pioneer stereo with Rockford Fosgate speakers and amp (I think) as well as a capacitor.
I've ran the boat and the stock alternator is not keeping up with the power requirements at all (no surprise there).
I just wanted to run my plan for new power by everyone and get any feedback and make sure I don't screw it up.
I am planning on getting a new alternator somewhere around 94 to 120 amps (is that enough?). Installing one new Optima battery to power the engine and necessary blowers etc. (is that enough?)and then using the two existing batteries I have now for the stereo system (is that enough).
I know the proper way is to install an isolator to separate the batteries but do I need to separate the two stereo batteries as well (either requiring two isolators or one three way isolator)
AND does the capacitor need to be isolated as well? I would not think so seeing as it needs to be re powered by the batteries when I'm shut down. At least that seems right.
I want to upgrade the power system and get it right the first time, what I have obviously is not adequate.
Any help would be appreciated.