So I have recently installed a 520" BBF Stroker in a 1979 21' hawaiian v-bottom with an open-bow. Berk JB-12 with an "A", loader grate and a hyd place diverter (no rudder).
Boat runs great, sounds great, and has no problem getting to low 70's with me & my pal Gary. Seems that when I trim it just right, I can get 78 mph @ 5200 rpm. I was aiming for 80 - 85, so I guess the NOS will come out next spring, as the season in Maryland is about over.
Funny though, a few times I lose control - the boat veers left, I turn right, boat still left, I trim down, let off throttle, and I get control back. After the first time, my buddy suggested a wedge, which I added (6 degree) - the problem is still there on rare occasion, seemingly without method or madness - but with the wedge I actually got REALLY nervous - the starboard side started to lift and I felt very helpless. Scared myself silly, actually - although I stayed out "testing" for another hour, running at speed with only one very minor repeat.
So, before I manage to destroy this boat with only 5 hours on the motor.... help?