The Arkansas River trip
Forword: A few months ago, I expressed my desire to make a trip down the Arkansas navigation system this summer. A lot of people expressed a desire to join. While this would not be a formal outing, I think it would be great if a bunch of friends made the trip. I am telling this board what I have checked out and if anyone wants to be making the trip at that time, it would be a great opportunity to get together. I will be putting out my timetable and tidbits of information that may help anyone making this trip. I will try and put everything out in several packets.
Part 1: The dates selected will be August 1-3, 2003. This is traditionally the best time to do the river. Levels are down enough to keep flows reasonable and the weather is usually cooperative with low winds and no extreme heat.
My plans are to put in at Rogers Point (mile marker 444) at 0800, 1 August. This is convenient for my small group and we will not be leaving our vehicles there.
By 0900, we expect to be by the Hwy 33 Landing and hopefully by noon to 1300, we will be near the Three Forks Ramp Park at Muskogee (Hwy 62)
If we keep on schedule, we will reach Applegate Cove park around 1700 (5:00). This is where I recommend everyone meet. Anyone may join along the way, but I will try to have a central point to check in. I will try and arrange the pavilion for the evening. It is recommended that everyone that is going reserve a campsite well in advance.
The remainder of the trip will start the next morning at everyone’s pace. It is 120 miles to Russelville State Park, where the next evening shall be spent. There are campsites there, or the marina has overnite slips and you can also get rooms at the motels with shuttle service.
Sunday, there will be two options for everyone. You can go to Little Rock (110 miles) and either boat back to where you choose or be picked up there. Or you can return to Applegate Cove Park and leave from there.
-------More to Follow---------