mirvin:
I have no idea? How do you know other than by counting. I just ordered the prop and it fit, they never asked me about it.I think the older 290's are 17 spline, but the newer ones I think went to 19. I have 17 splines on my 280...quite a few props around if you know where to look.
mirvin:
What's with the left and right rotation? Is it so if you need two they'll be balanced?Your drive can run either RH or LH rotation. All you need to do is take off the back cover and switch the cable.
Most 4 cyl Volvos came with RH rotation. The bigger engines (V-8's and diesels) came with LH rotation. The reason is that in LH rotation, it puts the stress on the upper (stronger gears) in forward, but in RH rotation, you are putting more stress on the lower gears in forward.
Most people will switch rotaion because it may balance the boat better (for example- if the driver is on the right side and the boat tends to lean), or they may have more RH props around.
Either way, if you have some HP, I'd look into LH rotation if you have the props and your boat is balanced in either direction. Most of the bigger props I've seen are LH rotation for this reason.
mirvin:
Oh yeah, my little fin thingy above the prop under the cav plate came loose and I haven't been able to get it set right? Any tips. I've tried it in several positions but still get pretty crazy over/under steer past 4000 rpm!! I'd start in the middle, and work in small increments (checking it at all speeds and trim positions). They are a pain to get perfect, and don't like alot of torque. Locktite is always a good idea (on the prop bolt, too).
Also, if you have cable steering, check for slop- too much will cause some wacky steering input.
[ August 29, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]