Originally posted by MOBrien
OK.
Stopped into several small shops that specialize in boat audio here in Sactown (Friggin Kings...damn-it!) and got some different advice at each.
1. stay away from 6x9's because they're really only good for midbass & the highs aren't that great? Not what I thought.
2. stick with 6.5's because they sound better? Not what I thought.
3. run 4 6.5's and a pair of 10's off a 5-channel? Sounds feasible but might overload the amp.
4. run 4 6.5's and a single 12 off a 5-channel? Sounds even more feasible & won't overload the amp.
5. run 4 6.5's and a pair of 12's off 1 4-channel & 1 sub amp? Cost just went up considerably from #3 or #4.
6. run 6 6.5's & a pair of 12's off a 2-channel & a 5-channel? Out of budget.
7. sub enclosure in MDF okay?
8. sub enclosure in plexi necessary?
Okay, that's already too many options. What's legit amongst these? Also, last guy pitched Soundstream amps. I heard they went bankrupt several yeas ago, were bought out, and quality went downhill since the late 80's when I had their stuff in my car and it was considered "high end". Is Soundstream still quality equipment?
Somebody......anybody......need...help....please.
-MOB
Alright...
1. Not true. I can name several brands of 6x9's that rock. They are louder by nature, but due to the shape of the cone, they usually willl distort before a comperable 6.5....
2. a good 6.5 will generally have better clarity at volume, but they do not put out as much bottom end as a 6x9 at the same volume. If 6x9's were so loud and clear, you'd see them as door speakers in competition cars. A round speaker cone is much more rigid than a 6x9... My choice is doubling up on coaxials, a great pair of seperates, , waveguides, or doubling up on a great pair of seperates if I wanted to be really LOUD and clear.
3. It's all about resistance. Get the right impedance subs and wire it to the load the good amp you choose will handle, and you shouldn't have a problem... 5 channel amps are somewhat limited. Usually the sub channel isn't more than 250 watts. Perfect if you're wanting a good sounding system that will add a good bass line and play louder thatn stock , and you're limited on space and $$. DEI has one that plays pretty well. I think they called it the 1100.5 ?
4. Again it's all about resistance. All things considered, I'd probably go 2 10's vs 1 12 if I had the space and was looking for more output. Depends on the 12, though...
5. Cost almost doubles unless you plan to do it yourself. 2 JBL's will be less than 1 high end 5 channel that will do what you may want. Remember that you'll have to add additional power wiring as well, so that cost will increase.
6. Not necessarily out of budget. Check with ither RB or me on the cost of JL's e6450 and a jl2501. THis packsge would sound really good with 6 6.5's and 1 or 2 10's or a 12.... I think Sigepmock has this setup PM him for how it performs. He bought some really good stuff and I think we stayed right around 1500... Again, he did get some great speakers, so the cost could come down a bit...
7. MDF will ba allright as long as you make sure to saturate every mm with fiberglass resign; Otherwise, The MDF acts like a big smelly sponge. If you plan to replace your seatbase with a box like HH(on the ole tug ), 1step, Slick, and RC did, Marine ply will be the way to go.
8. Plexi is only recommended for those with the Bling factor at heart. A large enclosure won't be rigid enough unless it's made from atleast 1" thick lucite. It'll flex like RiverDave's arm two fisting a case of slivers
The last I heard Sound stream was making some decent gear, but you can follow the path of where all the good engineers have gone to design for...
My advise is to buy the best gear you can within your budget. Remember that you get what you pay for when you buy electronics...
hope this helps.
Chris