I am suspecting loose splines as the cause of some light vibration in my P/F.
I have about a 7deg rise in the 7"(ujoint center to center) crankshaft that connects the motor to the pump.
The vibration starts at about 3800rpm and continues to 4700(my max so far)
There is also very loud pump rattle from 1000 to 1100 rpm. I have a jet with pump rattle but no vibration but the close coupled shaft has only a degree of offset, and that by accident.
The spline connection has radial play of about 1/32" at the ujoint end
The spline connection is well lubed.
The motor and pump are parellel, dead nuts.
The spline is engaged 95%, leaving just 5/16" for thrust
The u-joints are not very loose, if at all and lubed.
I researched the part i needed and found it to be a specific spicer part,
part# 2-4-2401
1310 series
10 spline
1.375 spline major diameter
1.069 u-joint cap diameter
2" spline length
ubolt design bearing cap hold downs
et cetera
I called my local bearing company, who have been very knowledgabe in drive systems before, and i might as well have been talking to a (censored) dealer.
I called Dana-Spicer and they found the part number, but did not know if they still made them...and said they would get back.. another (censored) dealer.
I called your shop. The gentleman not only knew what i was talking about but had them in stock, assured me by direct measurement that it was the right part, offered me some vibration troubleshooting information and shipped them out RIGHT NOW.
This is service. This is excellent unparalleled service, and i wish to display my profound pleasure in dealing again with your shop.
Thank you
.................................................. .................................................. .
I dont know if this is the source vibration or not. Could be uneven power, but i cant find it. Maybe i'm being to critical. I thinks not.
I moved the motor a little back to engage just a little more splines and the vibration, as well as the axial play was not as bad.
I mic'd the OD of the shaft and the ID of the major diameter of the splined coupling. .006" @ .003 per side. I probably made a mistake. The splines wear on the side of the spline. If the sides are close, the coupling will be tight regardless of the major OD, i think.
I tried to think of all kinds of ways to tighten the coupling, from shimming to electroplating. Didnt have to. For the price and availability this will work.
Thanks Duane
mikeT