Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust

Yeh, hopefully the top of your valve covers are above water. And like gugs said your tips should have flappers.
    As far as the mufflers, that sounds about like what the wyoming leo told me , no mufflers=ticket. Get this after I talked him out of the ticket, he proceeded to ask me how to tell if boats(like mine) had mufflers, no shit!

delemorte
    Get this after I talked him out of the ticket, he proceeded to ask me how to tell if boats(like mine) had mufflers, no shit!
    HAHAHHAHA. I guess its the subjective term "effective" is what i am curious about.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Kansas is quite specific.
    86db @ 50 feet, at idle.
    Exhaust that exits underwater is an "effective muffling device", as there is no way for them to do a noise check while underway.
    Every reg I have seen specs an idle check.
    OT headers are dry at idle, and being single layer tube, vibrate and ring like bells, just like they do on cars.

tbcseod
    http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/s...NCarolina.html
    (from the above site)
    Mufflers and Noise Levels:
    Vessel engines with open-air exhausts and the capacity to operate at more than 4000 RPM must have effective muffling equipment installed to effectively reduce noise. Exceptions are licensed commercial fishing boats.
    Mufflers and Noise Levels
    In general, do not modify your factory exhaust if the result makes it louder!
    Loud boat noise not only bothers other operators and users of the waterways, it can also disrupt peace ashore because of sound's ability to travel great distances over water. Excessive noise can also prevent a boat operator from hearing other boats' sound signals and warnings and can prevent you from hearing approaching law or rescue personnel.
    --------
    Wonder if "going fast to put distance between you and other boaters" is considered "effective muffling"
    Colorado is specific also - its something like 86db at 50 feet and I think it has something in it about a angle from the rear of the vessel........ (just double checked - Colorado reads: "No person shall operate a vessel in Colorado that emits a sound level in excess of 86 decibels on "A" weighted scale when measured from a distance of 50 feet or more from the vessel."
    ~TbcSEOD

GAWnCA
    If you turn up your THUMP music loud enough to drown out the non-mufflered headers would that count as effectively off-setting the sound of the engine?

Warp Speed
    We mostly run open, OT headers around here and don't have a problem. Lake Wiley is a little tougher, as it goes from NC to SC. I hear they get pretty strict on the SC side. But most of the NC lakes are fine with open headers. Just don't be a morone and the cops seem to be cool.
    Water injection is required, but a few, myself included run dry alot with no problems.
    Warp Speed

SmokinLowriderSS
    If you turn up your THUMP music loud enough to drown out the non-mufflered headers would that count as effectively off-setting the sound of the engine?
    Nice thought, but I don't think so.

delemorte
    BTW with these headers that go thru the hull. I assume they are below the waterline. How does water not come up thru them and into the engine?? I know there would be possitive pressure when she is running but at launch and pulling her out, how does that work? Just curious.
    thanks
    I had to post a follow up on this.
    So i actually had a thought and looked into the exhuast tips. there are baffles inside the tips already installed that will prevent water from sloshing up in there.... would be helpful if i actually looked in there before asking silly questions....

River Rat 005
    It's funny how states vary in their laws and enforcement. I boat on the Ohio River that divides Ohio and W.Va. W.Va. is the governing state for the river there. Both states have muffler laws, but W.Va. dosen't enforce theirs. So I guess Ohio residents have to put up with it. Lucky for me. Go about 6 miles up river and cross the Pa. line and you get a ticket for no mufflers.

SmokinLowriderSS
    So i guess its just the hight of the headers compaired to the relative hight of the water?
    Yes. If you look at my Lightnings in my avatar, the top of the tubes is ALMOST as high as the top of my carb. The bottom of my lowest tubes is actually above my valve covers.
    Mine are 2-layer jacketed, and the tubes run down a good 6 inches or so into the collector, below their highest points, BEFORE the water is dumped into the exhaust stream.
    3 summers, no problems.
    Only a 280* duration hydraulic cam, .565" lift.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12