Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BBC Forged crank question?

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
    I just ordered the 4340 CAT 4.250 int. bal. crank and CAT H-beam rods from racingman168(ebay seller). WE'LL SEE!

cfm
    Cat is still around ? Wow, haven't heard that name for about 3 yrs.
    Speaking of which, last time I was involved with a conversation with that name was when I was at a dyno shop / engine building facility I do business with and the topic was "Do you want a good laugh while I cry ?"
    Builder never saw them (Cat stuff) before and okay'd a deal for their SBC rods to help out his supplier that had 'too many' of them.
    The small ends look like they where machined by a kindergardner !!!! They where all over the place. He had boxes and boxes of them...maybe two dozen ? We randomly opened the boxes and continually laughed in disbelief as he was trying to figure out how to renig on the deal with his sales guy.
    We figured out pretty quick why SUmmit advertised them for a while and then dropped them. Also realized why the name seemingly disappeared from engine shops/suppliers but came into E-Bay.
    Buyer beware !!!!!!!

IMPATIENT 1
    Scats are machined better than eagle. Eagles require more mallory to balance. These are words quoted from 4 different pro engine builders.
    i just got my 505 kit in and all they had to do to the crank was remove alittle, none was added or needed(runnin big je domes,eagle hbeams). 4340 4.25 eagle crank this was the 1st time i ordered a balanced kit so i called my shop i normally use and asked some q's about having no mallory in the crank, he said if the pistons are heavy domes, they won't have to add mallory on most eagle cranks. i went ahead and used some borrowed paint scales and remeasured everything to compare to the balance sheet, its was all dead on.
    i did have to buy a stick of mallory when they balanced the 475 eagle/srp set-up i had.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    i just got my 505 kit in and all they had to do to the crank was remove alittle, none was added or needed(runnin big je domes,eagle hbeams). 4340 4.25 eagle crank this was the 1st time i ordered a balanced kit so i called my shop i normally use and asked some q's about having no mallory in the crank, he said if the pistons are heavy domes, they won't have to add mallory on most eagle cranks. i went ahead and used some borrowed paint scales and remeasured everything to compare to the balance sheet, its was all dead on.
    i did have to buy a stick of mallory when they balanced the 475 eagle/srp set-up i had.
    There it is.....

IMPATIENT 1
    There it is.....
    here's a pic of my 4.00 eagle crank, you can see mallory in the frt throw. don't really understand why its there, but they put it there. i was runnin srp blower flat tops and hbeams on that crankhttp://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42775&stc=1&d=11946305 11

steelcomp
    I've been doing a little research lately and it seems that the best bang for the buck in the import catagory is looking like the Scat stuff. I just had a Probe crank sent back becuase it looked like it was macnined in a high school shop class. Their H beam rods look OK, but compared to the Scat's, they look like a light weight Scat rod. The Eagle cranks have a different counter balance placement than the Scats that I've heard can cause balance issues. Everything I've seen from Scat has been more nicely machined, and more nicely finished than 99% of everything else I've looked at, and the prices are better.

75 spectra V-drive
    The chinese are sending childrens toys with lead paint,why the f#@$ would you trust any of their forgings? even at half price? Eagle,Scat,Callies? do yourself a favor and read the small print. American companys that sacrifice quality for cost deserve to be out of business. Just my .02

steelcomp
    I understand your point and empathise with it as well, but It's all about supply and demand. If the American companies can supply the same level of quality for the same price, then they'll get the business, but you have to understand that the chinese are facing a crisis, and are in desperate times. They need to create jobs for their population. They're building a new power plant every two days. They need to provide jobs for the people living in the country in order to keep them from coming into the city looking for work. The city is already drastically overpopulated, and they're at the brink of losing control of that population. The easiest and most logical way to provide jobs for the people in the country (and keep them there) is in manufacturing. They're, as I said, desperate, and couldn't care less about energy consumption, pollution, or the environment and they're getting their hands on everything and anything they can manufacture better, and cheaper than anyone else, not just the US, and there's not a lot anyone can do about it.
    Also, your point about trusting their products because of the lead/toys issues is a little skewed. What does one have to do with the other? The market for the stuff we buy is relatively small. They do ahve competition here, and they know they couldn't aford to lose the market so there wouldn't be aby reason for them to manufacture an inferior product, which they aren't. The lead in the toy incidents stink of something fishy going on, and it's my guess there's something intentional going on there. It's too much coincidense, too frequently, and too all-of-a-sudden. If there were suddenly a rash of crank or rod failures and it was determined that they were using 1018 steel instead of 4140, then you might have a point. Also one more point. Some of these cranks are made in the US and machined in China. Others are forged in China and machined in the US. All have a place in our market that the US manufacturers aren't filling...or are they?

MACHINEHEAD
    Entry level forged Scat cranks are made in china and fully machined in Redondo Beach. Their 7000 series and have it your way type forged cranks are forged and machined here. The billet series cranks are made here also. The billet stuff is super bad ass. Starts out as this huge ingot of chro mo and machined down into a crank. Seen it done at SCAT. Thanks for the tour. Bumpstik is correct about their superior customer service. Cant say that for the Eagle stuff. And have purchased equally from both. Eagle just has some stuff for other engines that Scat doesnt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123