Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: "Import" cars and trucks...

catman-do
    Sanger- Why do you limit it to the car industry? Is it just because the acrs are the biggest physical item we see in our day-to-day lives? There are many other industries that are over sees. Your computer your typing on probably is imported, along with your clothes, tv's, any other electronic device, and the steel used to build your building has a 60% chance that it came from over sees. I dont see a problem with free trade. We also sell many other items to other countries. Its a big circle. If we cut them off of our spending then they would cut us off from what they are purchasing.

Ivan Dan
    Imagine there were a world war III and the sides were similar to the sides in WWII.
    If we had to start converting factories over to wartime production what do you think Hyndai and Honda and Mitsu ect. would do? I doubt they would help us. I am a manufacturing student and have some extremely knowlegable chinese proffesors and they say that in China and Japan they laugh at us becuase we buy the sh*t that they don't even want. Their whole goal is to make us think we need something so we then buy it.
    Look at all the 9 axis CNCs and stuff. No company in Japan (generalization) buys machines like that yet many of them make them. In Japan, China companies are taught to make their own specific machines for every purpose yet they sell tons of sophisticated CNCs to Americans becuase we think we need it, THEN when it breaks down where do we go?? The only people that fix it, the people who built it.
    We all need to stand up for ourselves and support the companies that supported our country for decades. IMO
    BTW call me old fashioned if you want but I'm 23 years old.
    If we have WWIII life as we know it may never exist again. SCARY $HIT if you ask me. Korea, Iran, China.....:jawdrop: it would get really ugly really quick. We all should be praying everyday that this never happens.

HammerDown
    :idea: What I don't understand is...when I see a Foreign vehicle with American Flag/USA stickers all over it, just what are they proud of
    If I may touch on the "Maybe we suck at making plastic look nice, or maybe we don't do as good of a job of designing in the first place or something, but plastic interiors in imports seem a lot nicer than plastic interiors in domestics." deal.
    The 06 Corolla-S I sold last June (thank goodness)was the cheapest feeling vehicle I've ever owned. Plastic everywhere, the sheet metal was paper thin, the paint (while very nice looking) would chip if a bug hit it. I bought it strictly for fuel mileage and it did deliver that however, I had zero pride driving it or owning it and lost thousands just to get it out of my garage...with only 6000 miles on it! The new Tundras have the cheapest looking plastic dash and surrounding items I've ever looked at, and this is a tough Truck? The inside door handles feel like hollow plastic that might snap off at any use.
    I'll stick with vehicles that carry an American name plate on them, like my Chevy Corvette, Ford F-250 and Harley Davidson...Unless I can some day afford that 25'th anniversary Lamborghini Countach I've always wanted...

[QUOTE=Froggystyle;2932080]
    So, it is now racial bigotry to try and support your countries manufacturing infrastructure?
    My country's manufacturing infrastructure is NOT located in Canada or Mexico, when you can find a vehicle made by the big 3 that is MADE IN AMERICA, I'll buy it, until then I'll support the Union auto workers at Toyota, Acura & Honda. In addition to "American" made cars & trucks, please locate me an American made electronic device, take a look at your boat, how much of it was made here? You'd be surprised.

Levis......
    I bought 2 pairs while on sale tuesday
    Made in China since 2002!

Where did the parts come from?
    Most of the American made Toyota parts are produced in Michigan and St. Louis, Honda & Acura use both Canadian & American plants for their US made cars, where are the American car makers' parts made? Oh yeah, Mexico!

ULTRA26 # 1
    <----- not Jewish... and I would try and punish it every time I got behind the wheel:devil:
    The only trucks that I have found fun to drive were the modded/lowered regular cab silverados and Ford Lightnings. I think you are getting the best of both worlds.
    Driving a lifted truck everyday is like beating off with sandpaper.:jawdrop:
    I agree. My Lightning is still a blast to drive and does a decent job of towing the Ultra. It stays parked in AZ so I don't get tp drive ot much.
    My F150 Lightning was built in Canada

Froggystyle
    So, it is now racial bigotry to try and support your countries manufacturing infrastructure?
    My country's manufacturing infrastructure is NOT located in Canada or Mexico, when you can find a vehicle made by the big 3 that is MADE IN AMERICA, I'll buy it, until then I'll support the Union auto workers at Toyota, Acura & Honda.
    You quoted me as saying that, but I didn't... I was contesting it. Change it if you will please...
    BTW... I am with you on the "American" cars thing.
    In addition to "American" made cars & trucks, please locate me an American made electronic device, take a look at your boat, how much of it was made here? You'd be surprised.
    Bad example if you are quoting me still... Our laminates, interior, construction materials, wire, clamps, stainless hardware, gelcoats, fiberglass, trailer steel, trailer, billet aluminum components, nav lighting, switches, engines, drives, propellers and hoses are all made and assembled in America by American companies. After an audit we did, we found the overseas production was limited on our boat to our audio system (designed, funded and controlled by an American corporation) and our interior LED lighting. In all actuality, our boat is about 98% American built.

Froggystyle
    :idea: What I don't understand is...when I see a Foreign vehicle with American Flag/USA stickers all over it, just what are they proud of
    Being Americans. Having the freedom to drive whatever they want... among other things.
    If I may touch on the "Maybe we suck at making plastic look nice..." deal.
    The 06 Corolla-S I sold last June (thank goodness)was the cheapest feeling vehicle I've ever owned. Plastic everywhere, the sheet metal was paper thin, the paint (while very nice looking) would chip if a bug hit it. I bought it strictly for fuel mileage and it did deliver that however, I had zero pride driving it or owning it and lost thousands just to get it out of my garage...with only 6000 miles on it!
    How much was that Corolla new? Go price-match it to a Cobalt and see how they stack up. You want to talk about cheap plastic boy... you need to look at GM.
    :The new Tundras have the cheapest looking plastic dash and surrounding items I've ever looked at, and this is a tough Truck? The inside door handles feel like hollow plastic that might snap off at any use.
    Don't go hang out in one of the new Chevy Tahoe's, Suburbans or pickups then. All I could think about the whole time I was looking at them was how it looked like a pile of ABS exploded in them. Kept me from buying one in fact.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though...
    :I'll stick with vehicles that carry an American name plate on them, like my Chevy Corvette, Ford F-250 and Harley Davidson...Unless I can some day afford that 25'th anniversary Lamborghini Countach I've always wanted...
    Well, my C5 Corvette was nice, but the interior was failing badly on it after only four years. The fiberglass bolsters on the drivers seat had cracked from getting in and out of it, the main dashboard center console had wiggled itself loose and cracked, the plastic grommets that held the interior carpet against the tranny tunnel had long since given up... they might have been bad when I bought the car now that I think about it.
    In my truck the rear panel behind the back seat has clips that failed, the "A" pillar keeps popping itself loose after being removed properly once to put the Edge programmer in place, the seats again have started to show wear around the seams of the drivers door, though it is a premium leather package... The carpet, interior, headliner and dashboard are all different but similar colors. I think that is one of the big things that pisses me off about it frankly. Couldn't you at least get the color right? The interior is one color, but all of the plastic that bolts to it is slightly darker, and the carpet is a different color still. The two different types of plastic that make up the dashboard are also dissimilar in color and texture. The trim lines around the Denali dashboard I bought aren't even close to accurate, and as I stated before, the pervasive attitude about the whole thing is that it will never, ever come apart again, but if it does you will need to replace the panel more than likely.
    I like all cars. For this purpose, I liked a Toyota best...

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I'll stick with the ol gas guzzlers.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...365Blue_68.jpg

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast