Thread: RV Question

thatguy
    Can heat trace tape be used on plastic holding tanks? I live in mine for a month at a time in CO. Last winter I cracked one from freezing. I have the tape on my water feed line and the standpipe from the grond, wrapped in insulation and it works fine. I want to put 6' strips on the bottom of my tanks with insulation over that. I believe the strips are regulated at 40* or less.
    Will it melt the tanks?
    Tommy

thatguy
    Anyone?

Can heat trace tape be used on plastic holding tanks? I live in mine for a month at a time in CO. Last winter I cracked one from freezing. I have the tape on my water feed line and the standpipe from the grond, wrapped in insulation and it works fine. I want to put 6' strips on the bottom of my tanks with insulation over that. I believe the strips are regulated at 40* or less.
    Will it melt the tanks?
    Tommy
    You should be fine as most of the HT tapes on the market don't get hotter than about *45, they get just hot enough to keep whatever it's on above the freezing level.

thatguy
    You should be fine as most of the HT tapes on the market don't get hotter than about *45, they get just hot enough to keep whatever it's on above the freezing level.
    Thanks, I figured so, but just wanted to hear from anyone who has done it. It will be unattended for 2 weeks at a time.
    Tommy