Thread: motor plate patterns bbf 460

Kenosobby
    I was wondering i anyone has a pattern for front and rear motor plates for a rail system.. since my boat is stored for the winter i was hoping to pre-fab some parts for the spring rebuild..its a 460 bbf
    besides working on parts for the rail kit..I'm also working on my seat frames...just some busy work until it warms up around here...32 is just a bit too cold to be working in an unheated barn..i'm stuck to working in the garage for now.

1968Droptop
    You may just want to call Lightning MFG (www.boatheaders.com). You can buy just the plates from them, as well as the entire kit. With the cost of aluminum these days it may just be less costly to buy a set. A friend had considered this very thing until he priced some 3/8" material :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:. Add in the fact that there are some very specific hole locations that are critical and your better off just ordering a set.

firstjetinMN
    You may just want to call Lightning MFG (www.boatheaders.com). You can buy just the plates from them, as well as the entire kit. With the cost of aluminum these days it may just be less costly to buy a set. A friend had considered this very thing until he priced some 3/8" material :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:. Add in the fact that there are some very specific hole locations that are critical and your better off just ordering a set.
    So how much is the rail kit? They do not have prices listed

Kenosobby
    I kinda figured the raw materials would cost a pretty penny.. I just need some busy work for the winter..and besides I can say i built it!!! well that part kinda scares me too..but hell cant be any worse than restoring cars..too bad there are never mine own

BrendellaJet
    locating the holes is easy. Find yourself a set of transfer puches and you're done.

LakesOnly
    I was wondering i anyone has a pattern for front and rear motor plates for a rail system...its a 460 bbfDepends how you want to bolt to the engine, but usually you can use the factory block plate for the bolt pattern of the rear of the block (the "block plate" is the thin metal plate that is sandwiched between the trans bellhousing and the block), and you can use the timing cover for the front of the block.
    LO

1968Droptop
    Not sure how much they are, give 'em a call. One of the more critical holes I was refering to was the starter. Paul's suggestion to use the block plate is a great one, but that does not have any location for a top mount starter. I had to go with a top mount in my application, not sure if you will ? It's not something you want to guess at.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but a quick phone call or e-mail is well worth your time.

Kenosobby
    no top mount here...I did score two 3x3 sheets of 1/4 aluminum...and i'm liking using the back plate idea and i will come up with some kind of template for the front once i pull the motor..but again that will have to wait..looks like we will be getting snow this weekend..which means sledding and 4 wheeling!!!

BrendellaJet
    I would use a minimum of 3/8 plate.
    Transfer punches threaded into the existing hole location will locate any hole properly.

Kenosobby
    duh..transfer punches..for whatever reason I didnt grasp that Idea the first time you mentioned it!!! well 3/8ths it is..looks like the 1/4 will have to wait for another project...