Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hot Tub Guru's!!!!!

TCHB
    If there is one motor it should be a two speed motor. There is a air button you push and them it will go down and turn the motor on high. It sounds like the air switch is bad. You can buy one at the local pool shops for around 25 dollars.
    Is the pool plugged into a 110 volt receptacle or is it hard wired into 110 or 220? Do you have a gound fault on the unit or the plug?

HighRoller
    What the hell are you bitchin about Froggy?You could easily power the heater in that spa by hooking up your boat stereo to it!!!Then you'd have heat and vibration....

bordsmnj
    inside the AC units pwoer box take a meter and read between the actual box(scrape a little paint off to get bare metal)and either of the "hots". should read 120V. If it does, it's grounded. Use that box for the ground.Add a green wire from that box to the spa Via the same conduit as the other wires and bond any metal parts at the spa end.Get rid of the other ground. the other thing you might want to do is check to make sure that you actualy have 240/220V between the two hot wires.that would explain the motor's only working at one speed. then add the gfci breaker to that ac box. if you pull out the one you are using now and bring it to homedepot they'll probably be able to match it to one that will work.
    [ February 27, 2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]

ACCEPTENCE
    Hey Frog,
    Allthough I have been laughing my ass off reading this thread, "shocks the dogshit" "idiot" "jump in", this is serious stuff and you seriously run the risk of getting VERY DEAD!!!!
    Get a electrician out there, get a proper circuit pulled, grounded and gfi's installed, seriously you are playing with fire, big fire.
    bordsmnj has got you headed in the right direction, talk to him and and hopfully avoid a disaster. my.02pennies... Good Luck

Sandbar Mike
    Froggy Your crazy,
    All spa manufactures recommend the installation of a GFI Breaker, They Cost about $70 to $80, Worthless, They do not operate correctly, they have a neutral fault current detection built into the breaker that will automatically trip the breaker, The spa motor create's small feedback through the neutral to the house panel which makes it impossible to install those GFI Breakers and have them work properly. Probably the small feedback your getting in the water to ground.
    If you do not want to re-feed the spa from your house panel with a #10 grnd minimum I would do this, Purchase a 3/4 ground rod from Home Depot a bit overkill but adequate, It's 8'long, get on your ladder and start pounding that bitch with a sledg, or use a heavy hammer drill. If you have to cut a a few feet off I wont tell anyone. After installed throw on your ground clamp with a #10 or #8 wire and continue to ground your spa equipment. Buy a few aluminum lugs one for the control panel box and one for the motor if you have to.They both should already have means of grounding.
    If you don't want to add the ground rod add a ground clamp to the nearest water bib, and connect the ground wire from there.
    If you have any ??? Let me know
    [ February 28, 2003, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Sandbar Mike ]

Froggystyle
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.
    Honestly, I found out about the shock once I was in, and someone else got shocked. I felt nothing. Since then (after jumping out) I have secured power once when we get in.
    Now... I think the one thing I am taking from this whole thing is that I need an electrician, and am calling one today. As I suspected... nothing is ever cheap or easy when it comes to pleasure and relaxation.
    Fiberglass... water... I should have known that this would be just like a boat!
    What I was hoping for was a "Yeah Frog, I just live up the road from you... I own .....Spas and I'll come over and look at it for a beer" which I and a lot of people do all the time for boat stuff.
    This is pretty obscure though.
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. I am taking it seriously and will get it fixed, I promise.

Sandbar Mike
    Froggystyle:
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.
    Honestly, I found out about the shock once I was in, and someone else got shocked. I felt nothing. Since then (after jumping out) I have secured power once when we get in.
    Now... I think the one thing I am taking from this whole thing is that I need an electrician, and am calling one today. As I suspected... nothing is ever cheap or easy when it comes to pleasure and relaxation.
    Fiberglass... water... I should have known that this would be just like a boat!
    What I was hoping for was a "Yeah Frog, I just live up the road from you... I own .....Spas and I'll come over and look at it for a beer" which I and a lot of people do all the time for boat stuff.
    This is pretty obscure though.
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. I am taking it seriously and will get it fixed, I promise. Frog I'd come help you out if It could wait a week or 2, Too bad you live so far (5 minutes from Mexico) .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123