Boatcop
Although I agree somewhat with your opinions on the subject there need to be some changes made.
After all the billions of taxpayer money that has been spent on drug prevention, have we made a dent even a small one in drug trade here? No.
Do you think that the average 13 year old cant get a "hook up" on most drugs? You are fooling yourself if you think they cant. Drugs are easy to obtain for any one that wants them.
With all the enforcment we have done, do you think that our citys are a safer place to live? With all the money to be made in trafficing drugs there is a drug Al Capone on every street corner ready to fight for his share of the profits. Violence begets violence. Pretty soon these dealers make themselfs immune to the violence and the value of life drops substancialy. This applys not only to the dealers but to the children who are around this way of life. 12 year old kids who would just as soon pop a cap in your ass for looking at them funny. WTF
Do you think you home and property are safer because of all the dealers and users who have been taken off the streets? Where one falls the are three more to take his place selling. The hardcore user is not as worried about going to jail as much as he is getting his next fix. Drug prices what they are he will break into your house, jack your car or whatever it takes to get money for his habit. Hopefully our familys are not in his way while this is going on.
Would the social impact of drug use be higher if it was legalized? Yes in some areas like what you mentioned above but for me and my family and society as a whole to be safer from drug violence it is it might be a good trade off.
My comments arent specific to 203, which seems to be poorly written. If I am understanding the law correctly it seems to be trying to make it easier on the casual user. But we cannot keep our heads in the sand and continue to think what we are doing is the best path.
I dont think I have all the answers. Hell I am not even sure I have any of the answers. But I do know what we are doing now is not working. And in my opinion is continuing to make matters worse.
It might be a pipe dream but maybe we need to look at how some of the European countries, like Amsterdam, are handling their drug problems. They have much less violent drug crimes than we do.
As long as fast big bucks can be made in the drug trafficing world we are going to continue to have big problems.