Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: liqued cooled amps...

ROZ
    http://home.indy.net/~seanmac/sitebu...ures/amp_3.jpg Above with end panel removed showing the two passage ways for the liquid cooling capability. Using freon/water and a small radiator and pump, the amp is able to be liquid cooled. i'm not sure if all a-series have these built into the heat sinks?
    It looks as if PPI use to offer it...
    Here's another:http://www.damnloud.com/wade/big/neon006.jpg

ROZ
    I'm thinking that condensation may be a problem... Tom? Jeff?

Tom Brown
    Putting a barb in the end of those PPI heat sinks is the obvious choice but the cooling passages aren't real close to the output ICs. Still, it would probably help.
    That plate looks interesting but I think you could make something much better. Just cut an 1/8" thick copper plate to the size of the bottom of an amp and then solder some small tubing to the under side of the plate. Make sure the tubing serpentines back and forth as much as possible and then set the amp on the flat side of the cooling plate. I've built CPU coolers like that and they've been quite effective.
    Hey... how about this for an air-cooling idea...
    What if you were to build a 3 sided duct/cover that runs the length of the amps. It could easily be made out of clear or smoked polycarbonate as polycarbonate bends easily in a sheet metal brake. You could then put a pair of undervolted 80 or 120 mm axial fans in one end of the tube and have a pretty good airflow over all surfaces. I would think that would be about as good as aircooling would get and it would look trick too.
    I've lowered chipset temperatures 15C just by getting decent airflow over the hot surfaces. It's far more effective than having freeair fan blowing on one part of a hot surface.

ROZ
    I think it's a pretty good idea. I'm sure RD has one of them sheetmetal brakes I think I can order the 80mm fans through our parts department....

Tom Brown
    I have one too, ROZ. Do you have some dimensions and maybe a pick of an install you'd like to try it on?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12