Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no propane powered boats?

malcolm
    Yeah, but it's murder on valves, at least all the ones I've seen.

Some people use propane for super charged applications, when they start to boost the system introduces propane into the system and this helps prevent detonation and also cools the charge. At least thats what they where sayin.
    I have heard that propane will only get you half as far as normal gas would get you but hey, it's clean and we can still have those loud ass boats/cars! Electric motor sounds just dont cut it for me!

TIMINATOR
    A few years ago we did a propane powered pro street pickup for a customer. A 510 inch BBC W/tunnel ram and two 420 cfm 4 bbls,big roller cam,12.7 compression,Canfield heads,etc,etc,etc.... it passes smog easily and the smog station guys spend a half an hour on it trying to make it fail every year. It hasn't yet! HAHAHA! I have a propane setup for my prostreet 68 Nova with the BDS blown 548 that should be done in a month or so, can't wait! Oh yeah in AZ. an alternative fuel vehicle pays only a $12.00 registration fee and can use the carpool lanes anytime! TIMINATOR

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    I'VE HEARD ABOUT PROPANE INJECTION ON DIESELS AND IT MAKES OUT-OF-HAND HORSE POWER/TORQUE!
    I'VE HEARD IN FORK LIFTS ITS LAME THOUGH??.

Sleek-Jet
    Originally posted by TIMINATOR
    A few years ago we did a propane powered pro street pickup for a customer. A 510 inch BBC W/tunnel ram and two 420 cfm 4 bbls,big roller cam,12.7 compression,Canfield heads,etc,etc,etc.... it passes smog easily and the smog station guys spend a half an hour on it trying to make it fail every year. It hasn't yet! HAHAHA! I have a propane setup for my prostreet 68 Nova with the BDS blown 548 that should be done in a month or so, can't wait! Oh yeah in AZ. an alternative fuel vehicle pays only a $12.00 registration fee and can use the carpool lanes anytime! TIMINATOR
    How do you set up the carbs and the heads to run propane. I've heard it's hard on valves, like Malcom said.

zmoz
    Originally posted by THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    I'VE HEARD ABOUT PROPANE INJECTION ON DIESELS AND IT MAKES OUT-OF-HAND HORSE POWER/TORQUE!
    I'VE HEARD IN FORK LIFTS ITS LAME THOUGH??.
    Of course it's lame in a fork lift...it's a fork lift! It's not like they're trying to make them fast...

I'm sure somebody is trying somewhere...
    Originally posted by zmoz
    Of course it's lame in a fork lift...it's a fork lift! It's not like they're trying to make them fast...

Sleek-Jet
    I wonder if Hot Forklift magazine has a forum??

A few years ago some guys from Kansas were running a turbo-charged propane powered hydro at some of the local races here. They ran in the 8's if I remember correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12