Thread: help on carb

Raskal
    just got new holley 750 vacum secondary with dual feed do i need a new fuel pump? running on pretty stock olds 455 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

GofastRacer
    If you got a good pump now, use it!!.......

77charger
    Stock should do fine but i prefer the electric.

jim lee
    I ran dual 660s on my 455 using the original mechanical pump. Worked fine. It could empty those tanks in about 30 minutes.
    -jim lee

Kurtis500
    Stock should do, my friend used a similair set-up in his boat. Personally, I prefer mechanical pumps. No electrical to worry about and less of a fire hazard. Electrics keeps pumping even if motor is killed unless power is killed. If I ever scan some pictures I have a few of a guys boat that camped next to us in an old flat. He ran an electric pump on a basically stock motor for some reason. On the trailer in the water it caught fire from a fuel leak and a backfire around the carbs. As he jumped out the motor stalled but the pump kept pumping fuel out. Salvagable boat after the 2 extinguishers put it out, but upholstery, hoses and wiring was a loss. Probably would of had less damage if the fuel had shut-off with the motor. Also, I think mechanicals are more reliable.

Raskal
    hey thanks for the help http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
    what about perfomer vs torker 2 intake ?

Cas
    Raskal,
    I put a Torker on my first boat with a 455 that was basically stock. It really livened it up.
    My thinking behind it was that since a jet runs above the 3000 rpm range most of the time, the Torker would work just fine.
    I just recently swapped out the Performer for a Torker on my BBC but have yet to run it for a comparison.
    Hopefully, I can let you know in a couple of weeks.
    BTW, I'm in agreement for the mechanical. Holley makes a pretty good marine fuel pump for a decent price (for a BBC anyway)
    [This message has been edited by Cas (edited April 27, 2002).]

Raskal
    thanks for the help