Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rebuild 454 or go to 540?

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yes, but the bolts are ARP Wave Locks now. I have no intention of twisting her over 6K and all the folks in the big-HP engine biz I have spoken to have no concerns over my getting 500+ off my cast steel crank or 2-bolt mains as long as I am not trying to wind it to the moon. The RPM is harder on it than the cylinder pressures. I also just studded the mains from ARP.

ECeptor
    Yes, but the bolts are ARP Wave Locks now. I have no intention of twisting her over 6K and all the folks in the big-HP engine biz I have spoken to have no concerns over my getting 500+ off my cast steel crank or 2-bolt mains as long as I am not trying to wind it to the moon. The RPM is harder on it than the cylinder pressures. I also just studded the mains from ARP.
    That's the route I'm going also.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I just looked up that cam, that's a LOT of duration IMO. 296* Intake, 306* exhaust. Ran it on DD using my 049 head info (don't feel like chasing the 781 head data just now). That sure pushes your HP upwards in the RPM ranges, especially as headers and porting come into play. The Isky I am running has slightly more lift but a lot less duration. Making some assumptions on my part (CR and such) I'm seeing your HP peaking arround 6500RPM. Still, it leaves up pretty close except for the RPM range.

Dave C
    there is a whole lot of "common sense" floating around this thread and there is no place for that sort of thing here on ***boat......... lol
    its good to see you guys are thinking this stuff through first rather than just reaching for the ol pocketbook and writing big checks.....
    keep up the good work!

SmokinLowriderSS
    [QUOTE=Dave C]
    its good to see you guys are thinking this stuff through first rather than just reaching for the ol pocketbook and writing big checks.....
    [QUOTE]
    I've got 2 ex's, and they each have a daughter ... so I don't HAVE big checks. :crossx:
    Thx Dave. I'm really trying to build it right, once.
    The oldest one learned to ski last summer. :rollside: :rollside:

Dave C
    SS right on....
    BTW, like the siggy line.... 3rd line down. seems to me I have "heard" that somewhere before :crossx:

SmokinLowriderSS
    You might have dave, I cannot claim it as orriginal. :idea:

Partycattin
    Now my heads are holding me. Stock iron 353049's with the "small" 2.02"/1.76" valves. Local racing shop Hi-tech uses is going to Stage 1 them next winter and install 2.19"/1.88" large size valves. With no flow numbers on MY heads, I did find on the 'net flow'd numbers for my heads both before and after porting. If mine folow suit, 513HP@5500 / 509lbs torque @4500. Their head grinder told me they normally see 75 to 85 HP easilly with those heads without the valve change. More power from a stage 2 or 3 porting, but depreciating returns as more $$$$ is applied. They get most of the improvement at the stage 1 level.
    So I have a guy that will help me port/polish the 049 heads. Do I still need to send them to a machine shop to have some work done for the bigger valves you are talking about?
    I also have an Edelbrock Performer intake. I don't think it's the "Air Gap" model. Still worth using?

SmokinLowriderSS
    So I have a guy that will help me port/polish the 049 heads. Do I still need to send them to a machine shop to have some work done for the bigger valves you are talking about?
    I also have an Edelbrock Performer intake. I don't think it's the "Air Gap" model. Still worth using?
    On the heads, if the guy really knows what he is doing, it could be done, buit I would still let a proper shop port & flow them, The heads will need new seats for bigger valves so a pro shop must install those for you, not to mention the benefits of a properly done 3-angle valve job. For the ballpark 1-grand figure I was quoted, I'll let someone else grind them who has a solid reputation.
    Sure, run the intake. If you put a spacer atop it, you can gain some of the RPM benefits of the RPM performer. It should be a solid, good-working intake for you. I needed an intake, so I went all out, Performer RPM Air Gap. No reason to upgrade later IMO.
    Good luck partycattin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345