Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: jl audio

Magic34
    For what it's worth.....
    I put a ton of power and speakers in my boat. Like you, I also had a hookup on equipment. I needed a lot of batteries to keep the thing working all day. You are on the right track with the genny.
    I used 7000 watts of JBL power with their 12" GTI subs and 12 MB 6.5" marine speakers. If I was to do it again, I would have done the subs differently. To throw that much power in a boat the way I did was overkill in the sense that maybe moving some things and not using the top end speakers that required so many watts, I could have achieved nearly the same sound and not have used 4 amps, maybe only 3. For the highs, I would do it exactly the same again. So go all out on those, but look for an efficient option on the subs, and you will gain a lot of play time, maybe w/o running the genny all the time.
    I think JBL is good, but JL is better and your boat should rock. Each boat is different, so my advice may not work for what you want. I wanted the loudest, and I think some placement of speakers kept me from getting exactly what I wanted. It was loud, but I think there were louder. If this is your goal, dont be hestitant about losing stoage space, either under seats or elsewhere. If I would have put the subs under the back seat, I think I would have been deaf right now, but I wanted the stupid cooler under the rear bench.
    Good Luck!!

BoatFloating
    Boatfloating,i had been thinking about what you said when i talked to you and figured that the system will not always be playing at high volume so i thought that it would be ok to run the w7s instead of the w6s because the volume wont be always high.do the w7s draw that much amps even though they are at low volume?the bass location has plenty of room for ported boxes.
    Badass, Like Mbrown said putting w7's will still need more power to run. You can't tell me your planning on putting in 14 6.5 speaker 2 12 w7's amd 5 amps just to have nice quite day on the lake.... It's kinda like having a Funny Car that likes to go super fast, you don't buy it to drive in traffic to go to work. There are systems out there that are over kill and are made for sound comps and to me are a waste of money. With that being said because you're getting a great deal on the JL stuff you can't go wrong and you mentioned you rathe do it right the first time and not add stuff later. That works both ways you also don't want to be downgrading because you can't power the system too. So if you can't power it what are you going to do with the extra 1000/1. Sure you can sell it but you got to rip it out. We are giving you something to think about.... Like Mike said either way it's going to sound sick...... But the key is to keep it playing when you want it to play.....

Phat Matt
    So if you can't power it what are you going to do with the extra 1000/1. Sure you can sell it but you got to rip it out. We are giving you something to think about.... Like Mike said either way it's going to sound sick...... But the key is to keep it playing when you want it to play.....
    By the time he's ripping it out, I should be ready to buy it.

Magic34
    The W7's are almost twice the weight of W6 and require 2/3 more watts to push them and require almost twice the box for them. So with two amps running at mild volumes you are still going to draw quite a bit of amps. Unless you are going to be entering sound competitions where SPL is measured, I think I would go with W6's and save on weight, amp draw and enclosure size....
    Someone I know with a boat like mine went with W7's and 4K watts of power and after all was said and done told me they probably would have went with W6's instead...just a cleaner sounding bass. Not sure which engine package you are going with, and I know I/O's are less susceptible to weight, but I would second guess myself in adding unnecessary weight for stereo components that are not going to make a significant install in the boat....just my .02....either way the system is going to sound sick..
    I agree with the above.
    I think my subs are 50+ pounds each. I used 4 massive 12" subs. I had the room for them, but I would not do it that way again. Without a doubt, I would use a middle of the line sub and try to make it more efficient than overpower it. I am buying another boat, and I'll go a little easier on the next one.

rvrhlic
    You would only need 1 JL1000/1 for both 13.5's....2 1000's would over power them....Yes, they would hit. I have 600watts running to a single 12 W6 and it hits in a slot loaded enclosure....sounds like 2 12's.
    I have a pair of the 12W6V2's in my boat it they sound great. Yours will sound even better as i am underpowered a little since I am using a 500/1 to power both. If you want to part with the 1000/1 I am sure that I can take it off your hands!

BADASS38CHEVY
    Badass, Like Mbrown said putting w7's will still need more power to run. You can't tell me your planning on putting in 14 6.5 speaker 2 12 w7's amd 5 amps just to have nice quite day on the lake.... It's kinda like having a Funny Car that likes to go super fast, you don't buy it to drive in traffic to go to work. There are systems out there that are over kill and are made for sound comps and to me are a waste of money. With that being said because you're getting a great deal on the JL stuff you can't go wrong and you mentioned you rathe do it right the first time and not add stuff later. That works both ways you also don't want to be downgrading because you can't power the system too. So if you can't power it what are you going to do with the extra 1000/1. Sure you can sell it but you got to rip it out. We are giving you something to think about.... Like Mike said either way it's going to sound sick...... But the key is to keep it playing when you want it to play..... Sould i go with ported or sealed with 1 pairs of 13w6s ?

ROZ
    Sould i go with ported or sealed with 1 pairs of 13w6s ?
    The volume difference isn't much. If you have the ability for your guy to slotload the driver, go for it...

BoatFloating
    The volume difference isn't much. If you have the ability for your guy to slotload the driver, go for it...
    Yeah what he said.......

BADASS38CHEVY
    what does slotload the driver mean?

Phat Matt
    what does slotload the driver mean?
    They meant slutload. Because when you are bumpin your shit, you'll have a slut load of chicks on your boat.
    Or refer to page 2. (http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_MAN.pdf)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234