Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a reasonable way to...

LakesOnly
    This motor is going back in a cv-23 eventually, I was thinking that if I could get a reliable 450 HP out of it I would be happy!The motor has already been bored 30 over a few years ago but it just needs some more life in it especially out of the hole. I was reading about the stroker kits on here and thought that might be the way to go! I'll have to loook into it more. Who produces the best stroker kit? for the money?
    Hell, if 450HP is all you want, you can go either way...
    A 514 stroker kit would pretty much take care of your needs and your (presumed) D3 heads will work with unrestricted the exhaust ports.
    however, if your shortblock was just rebuilt a few seasons ago and is in good shape, you could also swap out heads and/or massage the motor overall and get the results you would like.
    Do you know anything about the internals of that rebuilt motor? Do a compression leakdown test and get head casting numbers.
    LO

LakesOnly
    Here is a link to "THE" 385 forum.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220
    Thanks JCR,
    LO
    p.s. Brian Adams can be emailed at scatstroker@hotmail.com
    Tell him Paul Kane sent you.

hoolign
    Hell, if 450HP is all you want, you can go either way...
    A 514 stroker kit would pretty much take care of your needs and your (presumed) D3 heads will work with unrestricted the exhaust ports.
    however, if your shortblock was just rebuilt a few seasons ago and is in good shape, you could also swap out heads and/or massage the motor overall and get the results you would like.
    Do you know anything about the internals of that rebuilt motor? Do a compression leakdown test and get head casting numbers.
    LO
    I am not sure about the internal parts. I'll go get the casting numbers off the heads. The reason I figure 450 is becuase the stringers are reinforced but not full length, The last thing I want to see is the motor doing cartwheels behind me . Do you think I can safely add more than 450??

Norseman
    rebuild a d0ve 460 block, and get some half assed power out of it without spending big dollars? All I want out of this thing is for it to be reliable and have some life in it.
    Try this it's an older thread on here.
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...ht=460+recipes
    There were a couple of threads running at the same time. All real good info. I have them printed out and saved!!
    Just in case ...................... :messedup:
    Bob

steelcomp
    I would rather put my money into a well built stroker with stock heads and milder flat tappet cam and have the option of upgrading the heads/cam at a later date, easier to change heads/cam than rethink the shortblock, and the long term potential is far better.
    Weren't you selling a very nicely built 467 Chevy to build a 496 inch stroker?
    No. I'm selling my 467 and building a 496. What's your point??

GofastRacer
    The reason I figure 450 is becuase the stringers are reinforced but not full length, The last thing I want to see is the motor doing cartwheels behind me . Do you think I can safely add more than 450??
    If your stringers end just past the motor forget it you'll ruin the boat. No matter how reinforced the stringers are, it don't do anything for the boat forward. Went thru that with a friend's boat a long time ago, ended up with a bunch of glasswork to repair it so he could sell it, those weren't made for POWER just a stock type ski boat!..

steelcomp
    As far as I'm concerned, for what hooligan is looking for, a stroker kit is absolutely, positively, a BIG waste of money. If you want "bragging" numbers, build a stroker. If you want a fast boat, get one with at least full length stringers, and a tunnel of some sorts, but if you just want to have a nice, sound running, fun to drive jet boat, your money can be much better spent. Just think of all the beer and gas you can buy for $1500.00, and you'll have no less fun doing it!

Jet City
    Agreed, in light of the partial stringer deal, I'd build a mild std stroke 460 with TRW-L2404 pistons (-22cc) with early 75cc heads (C8VE,C9VE or D0VE) or TRW-LW2602 (-3.9cc) with late 95cc heads (D3VE), unported with stock sized SS valves, Stealth intake, 750-850 carb of your choice, 280H Comp cam (230@.050, .53 lift, 110 LSA). Something along those lines would be around 9.3:1 CR., sound really good, and probably make slightly less than 450HP with decent exhaust (alot less with logs). Good luck-

hoolign
    As far as I'm concerned, for what hooligan is looking for, a stroker kit is absolutely, positively, a BIG waste of money. If you want "bragging" numbers, build a stroker. If you want a fast boat, get one with at least full length stringers, and a tunnel of some sorts, but if you just want to have a nice, sound running, fun to drive jet boat, your money can be much better spent. Just think of all the beer and gas you can buy for $1500.00, and you'll have no less fun doing it!
    Well being as there is a fullsize fridge in the garage full of beer at all times, I'm not worried about beer, Fuel is cheap for me!..so that leaves putting it into the motor...What I meant by reinforced stringers is I extened them when I re did the floor, as well as had two aluminum covers made for the stringers where the mounts go. They are not weak boats by any means..If you have ever been to Kelowna when the wind picks up..you'll know what I mean. I don't personally see a problem with 4-500 hp. If your gonna stand on it everytime it comes out of the hole obviously it's gonna torque the hull. If I wanted that kind of hole shot every single time , I'd drop the appropriate amount of cash on a bigger boat. The stroker kit up here will run me 1900.00 CDN, plus all the extras.
    Thanks for all the good advice..and I'll let ya know how it goes ( i'll have a lot of questions between now and then)

canuck1
    Just buy a real boat Dumb Ass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12