Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Additives

Costello
    I can tell you this about synthetics. On my 91 HD Electra Glide I was concerned with low idle oil pressure as anyone with an HD is/should be if they have a pressure gauge. On a hot day after getting heat in the engine I had 1 or 2psi max at the gauge. Your manuals will tell you this is "normal" I didn't like it. So against 95% of Harley dudes' advice, I switched to Mobil 1. under the same conditions, I was reading 5 or 6 psig. BIG difference. If I only would have been that smart 15 years ago when I burned up my first Shovelhead engine!! Synthetics are the way to go AFTER break in. As for additives, I know that in a Casale v-drive Prolong reduced operating temperature 8 degrees, so it's doing its' job reducing heat and friction. As for long term effects?????, Best1syn2oil sounds like he knows his stuff being in the industry and all.

JetboatJon454
    Lucas makes a great engine oil additive from my experience. My truck runs a lot smoother and quieter, I've heard many success stories.(not trying to make it sound like an info-mercial) My buddy used it in his 96 Z-28 that had a bit of a lifter tap and also used 20W-50 oil pressure went up, and engine is quiet now. Sounds interesting eh?

SB
    I don't know if they still do it, but a long time ago, dragsters use to put STP in and drain the oil before a run. Some of these additives contain teflon solids. Do not put a solid in your engine.

JETBOAT BRIAN
    Who's to say if the stuff works.....but is it not good cheap insurance if it does .I use Prolong in everything I own. My truck has 250k miles on it and still doesnt consume oil My blower 502 in my boat has almost 100 hrs on it with no problems ....Jim Wilkes swears by the stuff also!

RiverToysJas
    Very Cool!
    I wrote that original question nearly a year ago and it's been found and solid opinions added. that very cool, thanks guys.
    I still have not used any of the products but I'll reconsider it again before the season heats up.
    RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

bakerman
    on this topic i use lucas additive with 20-50 castrol syntec blend! no problem's yet. knock on wood!is prolong any better then lucas? and how much better is full syn. vs blend is it a big anuff dif. for the price?

DEL51
    I think if choose a high quality ol and change it regularly, it will be better than relying on some magic formula. That Said,I have a new job in a power plant.Many of the large machines use high grade syntheic lubes in the gear boxes with 2 year oil change intervals.These are not the same enviroment as an engine but there are similarities,high heat being one.I was surprised to find them adding standard STP oil teatment to the oil.Asking why,I was told that as the oil ages the STP is added and a measurable amount of heat reduction occurs,10 to 15 degrees.I do not know what amount they add, but the gear boxes take 110 gallons of synthetic lube at $900.00 per barrel.

ROZ
    I don't konw if this stuff really works or not, but my pops swears by the stuff. Toyota p/u with over 400,000 on it. He used slick 50 then prolong. The engine still ran pretty good when the tranny went out. Though it may have lasted so long because he use to change the oil religously. every 2 months.

twistedpair
    Back when I sold auto parts we sold slick 50. We were told not to sell it for marine applications as boat motors ran too cool (Can't remember if it was a bonding issue or what). Slick 50 later came out with a seperate marine product. Don't know if this is an issue with Prolong or the others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12